About a year ago, I decided to try to change up my snack game, and, (brace yourself) lower my carbohydrate intake. I know it's a "fad" now, but as I evaluated my diet from freshman year to now, a lot of my snacks and easy meals became carb heavy, such as going from veggies and hummus to bread and granola bars. Now don't get me wrong, carbs are not bad. As a fitness enthusiast and Nutrition major (aka hopefully future RD!), one thing I always want people to know is that carbs fuel our bodies and we need them, so we shouldn't be afraid of them.

Anyways, I was on the search for a high volume snack and I remembered about air popped popcorn! It's a whole grain so it's high in fiber with some protein, and by itself, it's low in fat. I sought it out at the store and my favorite brands became Buddha popcorn and Simple Truth Organic. Even though it's only like $2-$3 a bag, I realized at one (okay sometimes two) a week, it was adding up, and unnecessarily, since I used to make some healthy homemade popcorn when I was in high school & I knew how!

Priya Mehra

Making healthy homemade popcorn is actually super easy. All you need is a paper bag, and a pan with a lid. I use the brown bags from when I buy things in bulk at Whole Foods. To season it, I use salt, black pepper for a little spice (and to activate the turmeric), and turmeric. The black pepper idea came to me from trying the Simple Truth brand and it is SO GOOD. You can use this method along with any seasoning you like, whether it be just salt, with nooch for some vegan cheesy flavor, or cinnamon and mini chocolate chips for something sweet

Healthy Homemade Popcorn with Turmeric

• Prep Time:0

• 56g popcorn kernels - 4 tbsp/2 servings
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil melted or other oil
  • 1/4+ tsp turmeric powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp/10 grinds black pepper
Priya Mehra

measure out 4 tbsp of kernels into a brown paper bag, and fold down the top a few times. microwave it on the "popcorn" setting. you may need to stop it early, so if it's been ~8 seconds without popping, stop it (any longer and it may burn)

Priya Mehra

meanwhile, in a large skillet (with high edges preferably and a lid), melt the coconut oil with the turmeric (to cook out the rawness) and the black pepper.

Priya Mehra

once the popcorn is done in the microwave, add it into the skillet, sprinkle with salt, and cover it. the last few kernels will pop and popcorn will go flying if you don't- trust me!

Priya Mehra

shake it around a little to distribute the seasonings and oil then serve

Priya Mehra

I love to snack on this during homework, or make a big batch as I watch my fav Grey's Anatomy at the end of the day. Make a batch of this healthy homemade popcorn if you have friends over for a movie night, study sesh, or to take to class with you.

Priya Mehra

I love this as a snack as it's a light but filling option. 1 serving has about 3 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber. For even more staying power, with the oil it has about 3 grams of fat to keep you satisfied. It's light enough for a afternoon snack to not ruin your appetite or before bed to not be too heavy. Try it with this seasoning then use your favorite combinationÂ