Are you obsessed with avocado? Do you look for creative ways to use avocados when you're cooking? Are you a mac n' cheese kind of human? If you answered "yes" to any one of these questions, then you NEED to check out this avocado mac n' cheese recipe. This trendy twist on your favorite comfort food will exceed all of your expectations.  

Avocado Mac N' Cheese

• 2 avocados
  • 1/2 cup macaroni
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 1/2 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch salt
vegetable, cheddar, cheese
Jayna Goldstein

Start by boiling a pot of water to cook the macaroni. Cook the pasta until it is al dente, so anywhere from 8 to 10 minutes. Then drain the pasta and set it aside.

wheat, carbohydrate, tortellini, spaghetti, pasta, macaroni
    Photo by Jayna Goldstein

While the pasta is cooking, place one avocado, garlic, lime juice, and a pinch of salt in a bowl and mix the ingredients together. Mash until a smooth, creamy avocado paste is created. There should be no chunks of avocado left in the bowl. Then set the avocado sauce aside.

guacamole, spinach, herb, vegetable
    Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Now you have to make the cheese sauce. Place butter in a medium-sized pot. Once the butter is melted, whisk in flour to make a paste. Then add the shredded pepper jack cheese and milk to the pot. Stir this mixture until the sauce is smooth and the cheese is completely melted.

white sauce, flour, batter, custard, sweet, pudding, egg, dairy product, cream, milk
    Photo by Jayna Goldstein

Next, place the macaroni in a large bowl. Then add the avocado sauce to the pasta and mix until the noodles are completely covered. Add the cheese sauce to the avocado-covered pasta and slowly stir the final mixture until it looks creamy and even.

Finally, take the second avocado and cut it into even cubes. Then garnish the pasta with the cubes. (Note: I did not garnish my mac n' cheese with avocado, so it is not featured in the pictures).

vegetable, sweet
    Jayna Goldstein