After the disastrous avocado shortage back in October, which more than doubled the wholesale price of this delicious and versatile superfood, avocado lovers can finally rejoice.

The shortage is over and despite all the rumors that are swirling around, the price of avocados is expected to drop—yes, that means you can eat and Instagram your avocado toast  completely guilt-free.

From salads to smoothies to burgers and good ol’ classic guac, the incorporation of the avocado, also referred to as the "alligator pear" never ceases to be overlooked.

It appears as though so many people are adding avocado into their meals—I mean the increase in the price was considered a “crisis,” but why the sudden trend?

Avocados date back at least 10,000 years, but it was not until the 20th century when the avocado industry flourished in the southwestern part of the United States, and then the 1970s when the avocado market expanded to the rest of the country.

As someone who ate chips and guac on the daily as an after-school snack for years, I decided to investigate avocados' rise in popularity and how they became such a hot commodity. Here are just some of the countless reasons why avocados get so much love.

Their Super Long List of Health Benefits

Not only do avocados' high levels of antioxidants maintain healthy eyes and promote healthy skin by protecting against the harmful UV rays, but they also increase blood circulation, build stronger bones and boost cognitive abilities. I’ll keep that in mind for final exam week.

Avocados have virtually no sodium, contain 20 vitamins minerals and phytonutrients, have extremely low levels of cholesterol and fun fact: they have more potassium than bananas.

This creamy fruit can also aid in digestion, weight management and has been known to have heart-health and anti-cancer properties.

You Can Add it to Just About Anything

Want to make your favorite pasta sauce creamier? Add some avo to enhance the silky texture. Bored of your basic breakfast sandwich? Bake an egg into this beautiful green fruit to enjoy a satisfying, protein-packed meal. Feel the need to jazz up your burger? That's right. Place a few avocado wedges on the meat to diversify the flavor profile.

Its Popularity in the Vegetarian & Vegan World

Because avocados can serve as meat and egg substitutes, they are taking the vegetarian and vegan diets by storm.

Avocados have a significant amount of  "healthy fat"  aka monosaturated fat, and are a great source of plant protein. This healthy fat comes from the oleic acid, which is the main component that can also be found in olive oil.

They do not have as much fat as eating meat and dairy would and have among the highest amount of protein than any other fruit.

It's Everyone's Favorite Substitute

Instead of overloading on butter, turning to avocado is a healthier alternative. Because of its creamy, rich texture, and strong, yet subtle taste, avocados mesh well with other ingredients that have more powerful flavors.

Instead of using two tablespoons of butter—which is roughly 200 calories—in one of your favorite dessert recipes, opt for two tablespoons of avocado, which is only 50 calories.

This will cut the fat by 40 percent and lower the calorie content, as well as make your baked goods come out softer, so they will be less likely to crumble.

Avocados can also be substituted for oil, shortening, eggs, mayo and sour cream. Sorry Paula Dean, but I think the avocado takes the cake.