Sick of heating up frozen meals and looking to cook something out of the box? This recipe for an authentic Japanese home-cooked meal is a modified version of a donburi, a Japanese rice bowl dish. Requiring relatively few ingredients and some basic kitchen skills, this recipe is perfect for college students who are pressed for time but want to indulge in some homemade goodness.

Medium

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: 45-50 minutes

Servings: 1

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

1/4 tablespoon sesame oil
½ tablespoon soy sauce
Dash of brown sugar
Dash of black pepper
½ cup water
½ cup rice
Ground pork
Sliced onions
2 eggs

Directions:
1. Mix sesame oil, soy sauce, brown sugar, and black pepper with ground pork and refrigerate mixture.

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

2. Place a small wire rack in a normal sized pot. Fill a quarter of the pot with water (water level should be lower than height of the wire rack) and boil it.

3. Add rice and water to a small metal dish. Steam the rice by placing the dish on the small wire rack when the pot of water is done boiling (be careful!). Cover the pot with a lid. Use a wet towel to lower the metal dish onto the wire rack.

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

4. After 20 minutes, when the rice is almost done cooking, spread the marinated ground pork on top of the rice and top it off with sliced onions. Replace lid of the pot to allow about 15 minutes for the pork and onions to cook.

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

5. Beat 2 eggs in a bowl. Pour beaten eggs over the rice, pork, and onions and replace lid.

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

6. Depending on how well done you prefer your eggs to be, your meal will be ready after about 5-7 minutes!

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko

homemade donburi

Photo by Delissa Handoko