When I think of cold lentil salad, I remember the ever-present tupperware in the back of my fridge at home that always offered me the perfect mid-day snack or lazy dinner. My mom has polished her simple, yet delicious recipe over the years, and now you can too!

This salad will last in the fridge for up to a week. That's plenty of time for you to show it off to your friends, take it as a little snack to eat during class, or serve it alongside some grilled chicken to create a well-balanced meal. The recipe is so easy, healthy, and versatile that cold lentil salad will easily become a staple in your diet. 

Cold Lentil Salad

• 2 cups uncooked lentils or pre-cooked lentils
  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 cup finely chopped kale
  • 1 bell pepper any color diced
  • 2 medium carrot sticks diced
  • 6 to 8 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 to 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch pepper

If using uncooked lentils, place the lentils and quinoa in a medium pot and add water until it reaches the level of the grains. If using pre-cooked lentils, cook the quinoa separately and add the lentils with the other ingredients in step 3.

sweet, porridge, popcorn, wheat, buckwheat, corn, cereal
    Tara Shooshani

Place on the stove at medium heat until all the water has been absorbed (about 15 to 20 minutes). Let cool.

Combine the lentils and quinoa with the chopped kale, bell pepper, and carrots.

carrot
    Tara Shooshani

For the dressing, add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper in a separate bowl. Stir lightly; and combine into the salad mixture.

vegetable
    Tara Shooshani

The best part of this recipe is its versatility. Have some extra celery in your fridge? Throw it in. Want to add a little kick? Sriracha never hurts. Lentils go with everything, anytime. If you can't get enough of your favorite legume after making this salad, here are some unexpected lentil recipes to brighten your day.