It seems like every change in the Coca-Cola world sends tremors throughout the food and beverage industry, and for good reason. Although Americans are drinking less and less soda, Coke is still the most popular soda in the US, according to Beverage Digest. In 2017, their net operating revenue was over $35 billion, making their influence in the consumer sector pretty substantial. 

The last time they rocked their regular Coke formula was in 2002 when they introduced Vanilla and Cherry Coke. Although their Diet Coke lines were expanded recently (how sick are those ultra-slim cans?), the regular Coke recipe has remained the same bubbly, brown, and delicious that we've come to expect, until now. Coke is releasing two new "artisanal" flavors. 

With the release of these new “artisanal” flavors, Coca-Cola is delivering locally-sourced craft soda to their consumers. Like Miguel and Tame Impala’s 2016 psychedelic rock collab, Coke is “riding the wave” of consumer preferences towards transparent food sources and local producers.

Coke's Take On Craft Soda

Photo courtesy of Coca-Cola

Their new flavors, Georgia Peach and California Raspberry, are created using fruits from the two states. In a post on their website, Coca-Cola wrote, “We wanted to allow people to experience some unique local flavors no matter where they live in the United States.”

I’ve worked in Georgia for the past two summers and have experienced the tender juiciness of a ripe Georgia peach. I haven’t tried these Cokes yet, but I’m excited to see if their mantra of “grassroots” and “local” lives up to the true taste.

These craft flavors will also feature vintage-looking bottles, with sketches of peaches and raspberries printed directly on the glass. Coming in single bottles or a four pack, Georgia Peach and California Raspberry will be available in local bars, restaurants, and grocery stories.

What's Actually In These Cokes?

As for nutritional facts, the bottles have 140 calories each and the classic carbonated water, cane sugar, caramel colors, and “natural flavors” including the fruity essence and mystical coke syrup. I remember the uproar when Coke changed the formula for Coke Zero (the old flavor tasted better TBH), but I doubt craft aficionados will be affronted by this. 

The Cokes were released the week of Feb. 20, and will be sold for the foreseeable future. Coca-Cola hopes to continue the success it experienced in Mexico, where rising sales and “popularity of craft sodas” spurred the invention of the artisanal sisters. Coke experimented with 30+ flavors, so it’s not unreasonable they will release other craft creations in the future (i.e. Florida Citrus? Maine Blueberries? Asian Dragonfruit?!).

You can find the nearest places selling Georgia Peach and California Raspberry Coke on Coke's website