There's no denying that the family traditions of gathering around a table to gobble down spiral ham or consuming an unwieldy amount of latkes around the fireplace are ingrained in the fabric of our lives. As our generation begins to break away from our traditions to make our own, it's important to recognize the growing diversity of families across the country.

As an Irish Catholic, I've always celebrated Christmas, holiday mass and all. I would never give up these memories, but meeting my significant other, Ian, drastically changed my perception of the holiday season. Growing up Jewish in San Diego, California, Ian loved the holiday season for its crispy latkes and the beautiful weather.

Since meeting, we've combined our love for the Chrismukkah season by cooking our respective holiday favorites for each other. Here are our absolute favorite Chrismukkah recipes.

1. Potato Latkes with Applesauce and Sour cream

There's a good chance that you've had a potato latke. The dense and delicious Jewish staple has a long history and is relatively easy to make.

Servings: 6 to 8

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes

Latkes

Sarah and Jason on Flickr

4 cups peeled and grated Yukon potatoes

1 cup grated onion

3 eggs, lightly beaten

1/3 cup matzo meal or flour

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Frying oil (vegetable)

Kitchenware:

Baking sheet

Grater

Large mixing bowl

Large skillet

Oven

Spatula

Tablespoon

1. Grate the potatoes and onion, and preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the grated potatoes and onions.

3. Add the eggs, matzo meal, salt and pepper. Stir the batter until thoroughly mixed.

4. In a large skillet, warm 1/4-inch layer of oil over medium-low heat.

5. Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into oil before slightly flattening the batter with the spatula. Fry 6 to 7 minutes before turning once until the latkes are golden on both sides.

6. Use the spatula to remove the latkes before placing them on paper towels to drain. Once they are drained, place the latkes on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to keep them warm.

7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until all of the batter is used. Adding more oil may be necessary.

8. Once you have a plateful of latkes, spoon a generous amount of applesauce and sour cream on top of each latke, and serve!

2. Sweet Potato Casserole

The sweet potato casserole is a staple for my family at Thanksgiving and Christmas. It pairs perfectly with turkey and gravy.

Servings: 15 to 16

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Photo by sheri silver on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

3 pounds peeled and cubed sweet potatoes

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup butter

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Pinch of salt and pepper

2 cups mini marshmallows

Kitchenware:

9x13 pan

Large mixing bowl

Medium pot

Oven

Potato masher

1. Grease a 9x13 pan, and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a medium pot, boil water before placing the peeled and cubed sweet potatoes inside. Simmer the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes until tender. Carefully drain the sweet potatoes.

3. In a large mixing bowl, use the potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and pepper.

4. Spread the mix into the pan and sprinkle the mini marshmallows on top to completely cover the mixture.

5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the marshmallows are golden.

3. Sufganiyot (Jelly Donuts)

Sufganiyot is the jelly donut of your dreams. Similar to a beignet, sufganiyot is an airy donut which hails from Israel.

Servings: 12

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes (1 hour for dough to rise)

Photo by Leon Ephraïm on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

3/4 cup orange juice

1/2 cup margarine

1/4 cup sugar

2 packages dry yeast

3 cups flour

2 eggs, beaten

Pinch of salt

Frying oil (vegetable)

Powdered sugar to garnish

Kitchenware:

Baking sheet

Large mixing bowl

Large skillet

Medium saucepan

Mixing spoon

Slotted spoon

Spatula

1. Warm orange juice, margarine, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the margarine melts.

2. Remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm before sprinkling in the packages of dry yeast. With the mixing spoon, stir the mixture until the yeast is dissolved.

3. Add the flour, eggs, and salt before mixing until the dough is smooth.

4. Using a flat surface, dust with flour before using the spatula to scrape the dough out. After dusting the dough with flour, knead until the dough is springy.

5. Place the dough in a large greased mixing bowl and allow the dough to rise for 30 minutes.

6. Press the dough down and shape into small balls before placing them onto a baking sheet where they will rise for another half-hour.

7. Warm 2 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.

8. Fry the donuts until they are golden brown before using the slotted spoon to remove and place them onto the paper towels to drain.

9. Sprinkle the powdered sugar on top of the donuts.

4. Mincemeat pies

Mincemeat pies were a particular holiday favorite of my grandmother. The recipe was passed down to my older sister who incorporates this dish into her holiday celebrations.

Servings: 16 to 18

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes (30 minutes for pies to chill)

Photo by Katherine Sousa on Unsplash

Unsplash on unsplash

Pie crust dough (for two crusts)

3 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt

10 tablespoons diced butter

2/3 cup water

1 jar mincemeat

Powdered sugar to garnish

Kitchenware:

Food processor

Knife

Large mixing bowl

Muffin tin

Oven

1. Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the diced butter before placing the mixture into the food processor.

2. Blend the mixture until reduced to pea-sized crumbs. Stir in the water and pulse the mixture with the food processor until the dough holds together.

3. Chill the mixture for 30 minutes and preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease the muffin tin.

4. Using a flat surface, roll out 2/3 of the pie crust until it is 1/8-inch thick. Cut circles to fit inside of the muffin tins. Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the pie crust and cut circles for lids. Cut a slit in the lid.

5. Press the pie crusts into the tin and fill with mincemeat before placing the lid on top. Seal the edges by pressing them together.

6. Bake the pies for 15 minutes until they are golden brown before removing them from the tins to sprinkle them with powdered sugar.

Make the holidays fun this year by incorporating traditional dishes from around the world!