As a child, when I was asked what my favorite vegetable was, I would always say potatoes. While my palate has expanded over time, every Hanukkah I get to have one of my favorite foods of all time: latkes.

For those who are unsure what these incredible creations are, latkes are potato pancakes. There are many variations of fritters in many cultures, but in Judaism, they are called latkes. Typically, they’re made with shredded potato that’s fried and served with sour cream and applesauce. However, not all latkes are made with potatoes; zucchini, yuca, and even carrots! Latkes can be eaten any time of the year, but they are typically associated with Hanukkah, a Jewish holiday that lasts for eight days. 

During quarantine last year, my older brothers and I began a new family tradition: a latke competition. We each had to create a batch of latkes, made from any ingredients we wanted, and present them to our parents. While we all “won,” it was pretty clear mine were the best. This year, we are back at it and are on a mission to find the best rendition of a latke, and to ultimately declare the favorite child...uh, the best latke. This is a super great way to bond with friends and family and to get everyone involved in cooking! 

So, here are how you can make latkes, with variations ranging from traditional to vegan. Whichever latke you go for, they’re all easy and delicious. I hope you get some inspiration for your own latke party.

Traditional Latke Recipe

My favorite chef of all time happens to be Jake Cohen, and the second his cookbook came out, I bought it and have been working my way through his amazing recipes! My easy traditional latke recipe is inspired by his for the most ideal latke: the crunchy salt exterior with a soft center for a contrast of textures.

Now, the type of potato is very important. I am going to go with russet potatoes: white and can keep the great structure. While sweet potatoes are a cool option, I am a latke purist and don’t mess around with the classics. For me, the true secret weapon is to grate white onion as opposed to chopping it into the mixture for a uniform consistency, and no huge chunks of onion. 

6 russet potatoes, peeled and grated

1 large white onion

Salt and pepper to taste

⅕ cup matzo meal (or flour)

2-3 eggs

Recipe

1. Peel and grate your potatoes and onion into a large bowl.

2. Let them sit in the bowl for 5-8 minutes.

3. Move the peeled potatoes and onions to a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and SQUEEZE out all the liquid into a bowl!

4. Put the bowl aside and wait 5 minutes. You will see the liquid has separated into two parts: liquid and a white starchy solid. Drain the liquid, and add the potatoes and onions back into the bowl with the white starchy solid.

6. In the bowl, add in 2 eggs and about a fifth a cup of matzo meal and salt and pepper.

7. Mix it all together and put vegetable oil in a pan and set to medium-high.

8. Fry until golden and place on paper towels to sop up extra liquid. 

9. Serve with sour cream and applesauce.

Crispy Latke Recipe

For those of you who are all about texture, this crispy latke recipe is for you! Although this recipe is really similar to the one above, you’d be surprised by how different the end results are.

6 yellow potatoes, peeled and grated

2 large white onion

Salt and pepper to taste

2-3 eggs

Recipe:

1. Peel and grate your potatoes into a large bowl.

2. Chop up the onions and add to the bowl.

3. Add in 2 eggs and salt and pepper.

4. Mix it all together and put vegetable oil in a pan and set to medium high.

5. Fry until brown by making very thin latkes by pressing them flat in the pan.

6. When done cooking, place on paper towels and enjoy!

Sweet Potato Latke Recipe

Maybe you’re over the savory traditional latkes, and want something a little sweeter! I got you covered with sweet potato latkes: they can be served as an appetizer or as a dessert and are the perfect way to finish a meal!

3 large orange sweet potatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

2-3 eggs

⅕ cup matzoh meal (If you can’t find this, you could use flour instead!)

Optional cinnamon

Optional nutmeg

Recipe:

2. Add in 2 eggs and about a fifth a cup of matzo meal and salt and pepper.

3. If you want it to be on the sweeter side, add a teaspoon of cinnamon and nutmeg!

4. Mix it all together and put vegetable oil in a pan and set to medium-high.

5. Fry until brown and place on paper towels.

Zucchini Latke Recipe

Now I had a lot of doubts about this one, but let me tell you, these zucchini latkes shocked me to the core! These zucchini fritters are crunchy, moist, (yes, they are — sorry for all you “moist” haters), and savory. I highly recommend these, and I’m sure they would be great with a Greek yogurt dipping sauce!

4 zucchinis, grated

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning

1 large egg

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon matzoh meal

Freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup vegetable oil

Recipe:

1. Place zucchini in a colander toss with salt.

2. Let stand 10 minutes, then wring zucchini dry in a clean kitchen towel.

3. Place zucchini in a large bowl and gently mix in egg, flour, and matzoh meal.

4. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

5. Fry and dry on paper towels!

Vegan Latke Recipe

Don’t worry about being left out if you're vegan! You can definitely still enjoy these latke recipes by replacing the egg, and here is an official vegan latke recipe for you to enjoy.

3 potatoes

1 white onion

1/2 teaspoon salt

⅓ cup aquafaba

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1.5 teaspoon baking powder

Recipe:

1. Peel and grate the potatoes and onions into the large bowl

2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix

3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

4. Fry and dry on paper towels!

Mashed Potato Latke Recipe

Considering that Hanukkah is just right around the corner from Thanksgiving, you may have a ton of leftovers from your feasts! Use your leftover mashed potatoes to make latkes with this really fun recipe!

2-3 cups mashed potatoes

2-3 eggs

1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Recipe:

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and add any additional seasonings you like!

2. Form the mixture into smaller disks.

4. Fry and dry on paper towels!

Baked Latke Recipe

Last but certainly not least is this incredible baked latke recipe, which is a great option to have at a latke party as a different variation on the traditional latke!

3 potatoes

1 onion

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

1.5 tablespoon matzoh meal

Recipe:

2. Use a dish towel to squeeze out any excess liquid

3. Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix

4. Heat the oven to 400ºF

5. Spray a metal tray with cooking spray and form the mixture into circles on the tray

6. Bake for around 20 minutes until golden brown!

Toppings

In terms of what you should have with your latke creations, there are a couple of ways you can style them up! For the classics, you should definitely have sour cream and applesauce, but if you’re looking to make a smorgasbord, chop scallions really finely, head to your supermarket to grab fish roe (H Mart), and for those unconventionalists, you can even try Greek yogurt on them.

I am not the first to say that making latkes is labor-intensive, however, it is 100% worth the time to make these for your friends and family! These recipes make latkes as easy as can be. I hope you all get to spend some time cooking and making latkes and get to share them with those you love most. Happy Hanukkah and happy holidays!

Don't forget to follow CDC guidelines regarding COVID-19 and stay safe!