That's right folks, chili can actually be healthy! Loaded with veggies, beans and lean meat, it can be a hearty and heart-warming meal that is sure to please a crowd. Not to mention, the ingredients are easy on the wallet, and it is super simple to prepare. This recipe for healthy slow cooker chili is very basic so use it as a guide to customize the flavor and add your own flare to it. This is the perfect meal to serve at a tailgate, feed your family, or bring to a potluck during the cool months ahead. 

Healthy Slow Cooker Chili

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 15 mins

• 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
  • 1 large yellow onion
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1-2 cups broth or water
  • 19 oz red kidney beans
  • 4 oz tomato paste
  • 16 oz diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • salt & pepper to taste
Brianna Sutherland

Chop the onion and the green pepper into bite sized pieces (I do mine about the size of a nickle but you can go smaller or larger depending on your preference).

Brianna Sutherland

Saute the pepper and onion in a pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until onions become slightly translucent. Remove them from the pan and place into the slow cooker.

Brianna Sutherland

Using the same pan as the vegetables, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and begin to brown the meat on medium heat until it is no longer pink (roughly 8 or so minutes). Pour the cooked meat and any juice into the slow cooker.

#SpoonTip: I use a little oil because chicken and turkey have less fat than ground beef, so the oil keeps it moist.

Brianna Sutherland

Add the red kidney beans, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and broth to the slow cooker as well. You can adjust the amount of liquid you want to add based on your preferred consistency. Also, if you do not like tomato chunks you can substitute the diced tomatoes for crushed.

Brianna Sutherland

Add all of the spices to the slow cooker. Be sure to test out the taste as you may want to readjust the flavors to fit your preferences.

#SpoonTip: You may even experiment by adding other spices you have on hand such as paprika or onion powder.

Brianna Sutherland

Set the slow cooker to the low setting and let it simmer for at least an hour. It is technically ready to be served once all the ingredients are combined, but it tastes much better when it has been sitting for an hour or more.

Brianna Sutherland

Scoop the chili into bowls and top with light sour cream, reduced fat cheddar cheese, green onions, and/or multigrain tortilla chips, or just eat it plain, and ENJOY!

Brianna Sutherland

If you want to check out other recipes created by my Spoon team and me, visit the following links to find out how to make spinach and artichoke dip, breaded zucchini sticks , or just check out the Bryant Bulldog's Spoon page! Stay warm!