Chai is one of my favorite things on the planet. I would drink it as a tea, as a latte, as a boxed mix, with a mouse, in a house. The iconic chai flavors go perfectly with poached pears, served up over vanilla ice cream or topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

Pull out this recipe for your next fancy dinner party, to impress your family at a holiday gathering, or to satisfy your sweet tooth on a cozy winter night. Most importantly, use this recipe to enjoy chai on a whole new level!

Chai Poached Pears

• Cook Time:1 hr
  • Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• 4 cups water
  • 4 chai tea bags
  • 2 peeled pears
  • 3 1-inch diameter disks ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon cardamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dairy product, milk
Photo by Sarah Goldman

Combine all ingredients besides the pears in a medium saucepan over high heat. Let the mixture boil for about 5 minutes, remove the tea bags, and boil for 5 minutes longer.

soup, vegetable, bread
    Photo by Sarah Goldman

Add the pears to the poaching liquid. Bring the heat down to a steady simmer and cook until fork-tender, about 20 minutes.

soup
    Photo by Sarah Goldman

Remove the pears and bring the sauce back to a boil, allowing it to thicken and become more of a syrup consistency. This can take up to 30 minutes, but it depends on the texture you desire for the sauce.

chocolate
    Photo by Sarah Goldman

Serve the pears over your favorite ice cream with a dollop of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon. The second best part of this recipe is that you can save your extra chai syrup to make yourself a homemade, better-than-Starbucks chai tea latte later in the week! Definitely a win-win.

pear, sauce, sweet, wine, cream, chocolate