The start of football season also means its the start to major snacking season. And there are few game day treats as iconic as chips and dip. However, this recipe spices up buffalo chicken dip with homemade tortilla chips. 

Making the dip isn't tricky. If you don't want to boil and shred your own chicken, you can just buy a cooked rotisserie chicken and use that. When you're shredding, cut some of the chicken into large chunks to add texture to the dip. If blue cheese isn't your thing, you could swap it out for ranch dressing, or do half and half to mix more flavors. Just make sure you add plenty of hot sauce to give it that spicy kick.

Buffalo Chicken Dip

• 4 chicken breasts
  • 16 oz cream cheese
  • 8 oz hot sauce
  • 8 oz chunky blue cheese dressing
Ethan Cappello

Preheat an oven to 350°F, and heat a pan of water until it boils.

Once the water boils, place the chicken in and cook until it is no longer pink in the middle. Check by removing one piece from the pot and cutting it open.

Ethan Cappello

Shred and cube the chicken, enough to fill 4 cups. Place in a large bowl.

Ethan Cappello

Into the large bowl, add the blue cheese dressing.

Ethan Cappello

Pour in the hot sauce.

Ethan Cappello

Add the cream cheese and combine all ingredients together. The cream cheese should be softened so it mixes in easily, but chunks of cream cheese are okay too.

Ethan Cappello

Pour into a casserole dish and cook for 25 minutes. Add a few minutes if your casserole dish is deep rather than long.

Ethan Cappello

The perfect time to make the chips is right after the dip comes out of the oven. It's going to need time to cool, so as soon as it comes out put the tortillas into the oven. This gives them a stale effect that helps them crisp up as they are fried.

There's no better snacking combo than buffalo chicken dip with homemade tortilla chips. Store-bought chips are great, but you can really customize the amount of salt and shape of the chips when they are homemade.

Homemade Tortilla Chips

• 6 corn tortillas
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • Salt to taste
Ethan Cappello

Preheat an oven to 350°F.

Lay out the 6 corn tortillas on a baking sheet, and bake in oven for 5 minutes.

Ethan Cappello

Using a pizza cutter, cut each tortilla into 6 triangles.

Ethan Cappello

Pour vegetable oil to a frying pan and heat over medium heat.

Once the oil has reached 350°F, or when the oil bubbles around a wooden spoon when placed in, place a few triangles into the pan.

Use a spatula to turn the chips over as they cook, so they fry evenly on both sides. And make sure they aren't floppy when you take them out. They will hold the dip best when they are firm and crispy.

Fry for about a minute, or until the tortillas have changed color and begun to bubble. They should be firm rather than flimsy.

Ethan Cappello

Place cooked chips onto a paper towel and sprinkle with salt.