Once or twice a semester, Boston University's Dining Services treats us to Breakfast for Dinner, or Brinner. Some people go for the breakfast burger, others for the doughnuts in the pastry section. For myself, I head straight for the customizable pancakes.

My first year at BU, one of the best parts of living in Warren Towers was how often I could get a fresh chocolate chip pancake from the dining hall. And there's simply nothing better than when you can have them for breakfast and dinner. 

With a busier schedule I don't get to eat pancakes all to often. So, the time came to make pancakes in my own kitchen. What's great about making them at home is that it's easy to customize what is in them instead of being restricted by the dining hall's options. 

Basic Pancake Recipe

• 3 cups flour
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 tablespoons butter melted
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • Fillings choice

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, eggs, and butter.

dairy product, egg, flour
    Ethan Cappello

Gradually add the milk until the batter reaches a smooth consistency.

yogurt, pudding, sweet, flour, dairy product, cream, milk
    Ethan Cappello

Heat a pan on medium heat, and coat with cooking spray.

chocolate, coffee, cream, dairy product
    Ethan Cappello

Pour about 1/3 cup of batter into the pan. Add in desired fillings. Once the pancake starts to bubble, flip it and cook until both sides are golden brown.

Here are some of the fillings I chose to make at home, including chocolate chips. 

cream, bread, pie, chocolate chip cake, cookie, dairy product, chocolate, sweet, pastry, cake
Ethan Cappello

Crumbled Oreos are a nice filling for a change in texture. 

cream
Ethan Cappello

Rolo's candy melt while they cook, making for a gooey pancake. 

cream, pancake, chocolate
Ethan Cappello

My personal favorite is to add cookie dough into the pancake. 

goody, dairy product, pastry, cake, cookie, chocolate, sweet
Ethan Cappello

Pancakes are like a blank canvas for creativity. They're super quick and easy to make, and some of my favorite toppings include syrup, whipped cream, and ice cream. Your pancakes are sure to be a hit, whether you eat them for breakfast or brinner.