To get into the Halloween spirit this past month, I created this festive Halloween cake. I was looking for a Halloween dessert that would be simple and fun to make in my dorm. After searching for the perfect dessert, I came across this cake in a "How to Hack it" story on Snapchat. I immediately knew this would be the best idea because I was able to get most of these ingredients on Tulane's campus. This cake required minimal ingredients, was very easy to make, and was a total crowd-pleaser! Because of the delicious recipe, the cake is appeasing to fans of both chocolate and vanilla. 

Black & White Halloween Cake with Marshmallow Spider Webs

• Total Time:1 hr 5 mins

• Vanilla cake mix
  • Chocolate cake mix
  • Chocolate frosting
  • Marshmallows
  • Fake Spiders
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 or 2 round cake pans
Jordyn Fein

Get all of the ingredients and fake spiders. Preheat your oven to 350° and grease 2 round cake pans with cooking oil or butter.

Jordyn Fein

Prepare your box cake mix as is and separate it into 2 pans. I used Duncan Hines and I had to add 3 large eggs, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 cup of water. The vanilla one is not pictured because I only had one cake pan in my dorm room, but I did the same for the vanilla mix. It would have been much easier if I used 2 cake pans so that I could have cooked the cakes at the same time.

Jordyn Fein

Bake your cakes in the oven and let them cool. It is important to wait until the cakes are fully cool before you start to frost it. I let my cakes cool overnight.

Jordyn Fein

Frost the bottom layer of your cake and then add the other layer on top and more frosting. Make sure the whole cake is covered in frosting. Add a generous amount of frosting to each layer to make sure all of the sides are coated and you cannot see the cake. I used Duncan Hines chocolate frosting to do this.

Jordyn Fein

Grease a bowl and melt marshmallows in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Let them cool for a couple of seconds. Grease your hands and gather the marshmallows in your hands. Stretch them on the cake so that it covers all the sides. It should look like a spider web. You will have to gather the marshmallows in your hands multiple times to cover the whole cake.

Jordyn Fein

Add the fake spiders wherever you want on top to complete the spider web look.

Jordyn Fein

Enjoy and don't forget to share with friends!

Jordyn Fein

Even though Halloween is over, you can still continue to celebrate with this festive dessert that all of your friends will love! It will probably be gone in minutes, just like mine was. This easy cake can be used for all holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up. To make it appeal for those holidays, instead of adding spiders, add a turkey, or Christmas tree. This cake is super customizable!

Don't hesitate to share this article with your friends! Check out my fellow Tulanian's article for more fall fun!