I don't know about you, but bread is probably my favorite thing in the world (second only to potatoes). With endless sweet and savory options it's hard to decide what bread-based recipe is actually the best. While I'm partial to garlic bread (who isn't?), a bruschetta can be a nice change of pace when you want something satisfying but with a healthy kick. Traditionally made with tomatoes and basil you'll find that this creative bell pepper bruschetta is easy to make, amazingly delicious and totally vegan. Try it at home!

Bell Pepper Bruschetta

• 15 fresh basil leaves
  • 2 bell peppers one red one orange
  • 15 halved cherry tomatoes
  • 2 garlic gloves
  • 1 french baguette
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
Tessa Domzalski

Preheat oven to 450° fahrenheit.

Remove seeds and stems from bell peppers then slice peppers into thin strips. Put peppers in a bowl with one tablespoon olive oil with salt and pepper to taste. Mix until peppers are thoroughly coated. Arrange peppers on a baking pan and put in oven for 20-25 minutes (until soft).

Slice basil into thin strips and add to a bowl with the halved cherry tomatoes (reserve 3-4 basil leaves for garnish). Add one tablespoon of olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Cut baguette into equal slices about 1 inch in width. Slice garlic cloves in half and rub the baguette with the garlic. Top slices with olive oil. Add the slices to a baking tray and toast for 5 minutes.

Remove bread and peppers from oven, allow both to cool. When peppers are no longer hot to the touch chop them into smaller pieces (about the size of the cherry tomatoes). Add peppers to the bowl of basil and tomatoes, mix until incorporated.

Spoon the bell pepper, tomato and basil mixture onto the toasted baguette slices. Garnish with remaining basil leaves. Enjoy!