Autumnal nostalgia and these crisp December mornings have taken me back to a time of disgruntled walks to the Public Affairs building trying, barely, to make it to my 8 AM classes. I owe my ability to make it to and participate, with some sort of cognizance, in these classes to -- the holy grail of the Bruin breakfast world -- B Plate Grab & Go’s beloved peanut butter and oat smoothie.

I don’t know whether it is its luxuriously creamy texture, or its sultry combination of chocolate and peanut butter, or the vague idea of feeling healthy as you are consuming it -- but something about it whittled its way into a special place into my heart and thousands of others. Not only is it ranked number one in Spoon University’s ranking of the B Plate smoothies, it is the only smoothie with such a cult following that they serve it every. single. day. Now, with B Plate closed indefinitely we are all left with a peanut-butter-and-oat shaped whole in our hearts. Fueled by this loss, I have created a humble replica of this smoothie to tide us over until we are able to be reunited with our beloved once again.

Whether you are a freshman waiting to experience the magic of this cult favorite, a nostalgic student missing peanut-butter-oat-smoothie-mornings, or simply a peanut-butter-and-oat curious individual, this recipe is for you.

PB & Oat Smoothie

• 2 pitted dates
  • 1 frozen slice banana
  • 1/2 cup ice
  • 1/2-1 cup Oat or any plant based milk depending on desired consistency
  • 2 Tbsp peanut butter
  • 1 Tbsp cacao powder
Laila Adarkar

Blend & enjoy :)

Once you have mastered this baseline recipe, it is endlessly adaptable. Not in the mood for peanut butter? Swap it out for almond or cashew butter, or if you're feeling fancy, tahini. For an extra chocolate-chip esque crunch, sprinkle in some cacao nibs. To get a product more reminiscent of Mexican hot chocolate, shake in some cinnamon. For a holiday twist, ditch the peanut butter all together and add in a couple drops of peppermint extract. The possibilities are limitless.

However, if you are like myself, despite these flirtations with experimentation, you will likely find yourself circling back to the original -- because nothing will ever taste quite as good as the original peanut-butter-and-oat smoothie.