While ramen might be a great midnight snack or study break in college, it can actually be used for much more than that. No, I'm not talking about a way to describe Justin Timberlake's hair in the '90s, even though that might be the most accurate depiction I have seen.

Uncooked ramen, in this salad, is used as a shocking, prime ingredient and may just become your next favorite topping for your daily salads (but please remember that ramen comes unflavored).

Soma Salad is an Asian fusion-style salad that has a short prep time with a long shelf life. You can keep it in the fridge for up to one week and be confident that it will still taste good. It is great to use as a side for dinner or even as a mixer for the next salad you make. This dish will surprise guests and leave them asking for the recipe.

Even if you despise cabbage or really any of the ingredients, I still think you should try the dish. Trust me, I wouldn't lead you astray. If you are looking for an intriguing summer salad that will shock your friends with delight, this is the cabbage salad for you. Even the pickiest of foodies will love it.

Soma Salad

• Cook Time:0

• 1 medium cabbage
  • 5 scallions
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds
  • 3 packages uncooked ramen
  • 6 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
vegetable, salad dressing
Allie Patenaude

Prepare to chop up your cabbage by taking off the two dark outer leaves. Once you start chopping, make sure that you are cutting the cabbage into chunks rather than slices. We are not making coleslaw here. Also, do not use the white center part of the cabbage.

vegetable, salad, cabbage, lettuce, herb
    Allie Patenaude

Add three packages of uncooked ramen into to a clear bag. Throw away the flavor packs included. After you have sealed the bag tightly, break up the three squares by hitting the bag with a utensil. Continue until it is a bunch of chunks.

#SpoonTip: the chunks will always get smaller with the dressing, so be lenient.

tea, cereal, rice, hash, herb, rice flake
    Allie Patenaude

Chop up the middle part of your scallions. The white, fuzzy heads and the dark green ends are to be thrown out after.

vegetable, herb, spring onion, scallion, chives, garlic
    Allie Patenaude

Add the cabbage chunks and scallions into a bowl. Then pour either 3/4 or the whole bag of crushed ramen into the bowl. This amount is all dependent on how much you wish to add. Once all three ingredients are added, mix them all together.

vegetable, salad, cabbage
    Allie Patenaude

Combine your slivered almonds and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a small pan. Turn to the simmering setting and mix the ingredients together.

cereal, wheat
    Allie Patenaude

Add sesame seeds to the simmering pan.

rice, cereal, wheat
    Allie Patenaude

Stir the ingredients in the pan until golden. Make sure they do NOT burn. Once cooked, set them aside in a bowl to cool.

meat
    Allie Patenaude

To make the dressing, use a jar with a lid. Add the sugar, salt, pepper, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and olive oil to it. Once all the ingredients are in the jar, close the lid tight.

tea, chocolate
    Allie Patenaude

Shake the jar. Scrape the bottom if anything sticks to it.

sweet, jam, milk, tea
    Allie Patenaude

Add the cooled slivered almonds and sesame seeds to the bowl.

salad, vegetable, chicken, lettuce, rice
    Allie Patenaude

Add the dressing to the salad. If you want the ramen to be crispier, add the dressing on right before serving. If you want the salad to have soaked or sat a bit, put the dressing on 1 or 2 hours before serving. Both options taste delicious.

vegetable, cabbage, salad, lettuce, napa cabbage, rice
    Allie Patenaude

I hope you had a fun and easy time making this salad. It's a great dish to take to a family gathering or just to work for lunch. Once you have tried this salad, you will realize why people even eat cabbage in the first place.