With spring around the corner and winter coming to a close, my skin does not know what to do with itself. Some days it is dry, some days it is oily, and some days it is a confusing combination of the two. In efforts to spend less money and find a more natural way to help my skin, I thought: what would be more natural and cheap than slapping food on my face? These food face masks will help your skin cope with the changing seasons.

Thinking back to what phases my skin goes through, I figured I could use 4 recipes on a rotation. The ingredients in these food face mask recipes are items that I can get from my college dining hall, so it is convenient and cheap. 

1. Dry Skin

avocado pit, avocado, avocado halves

Dry skin is a hassle to deal with, and I encounter it every winter season. This recipe is great for soothing dry skin, and it also has antibacterial properties. Honey provides antioxidants that are good for your face, while the avocado softens the skin. Once you use this mask, you will be able to brave the cold weather like a champ:

- 1/2 avocado

- 1 tablespoon of honey

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil

2. Oily Skin

porridge, sweet, oatmeal, milk, cereal, rice
Christin Urso

This recipe does double duty by soothing irritation while removing excess oils. The oatmeal does the soothing, while the lemon juice does the removing. This mask will have you prepped and ready to go in the humid weather before spring comes into full bloom:

- 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal

- 1 egg

- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice

3. Blemished Skin

banana, apple, sweet, juice

This recipe does wonders for blemished skin because the banana smoothes the skin while the antibacterial honey helps clear away the blemish. With this all natural mud mask, you can be confident in your skin:

- 1/4 cup of plain yogurt

- 1 banana

- 2 tablespoons of hone

4. Tired Skin

coffee, milk, cream, espresso, sweet, cappuccino, chocolate, dairy product
Christine Chang

I have fallen victim to the hustle and bustle of midterm season, and as a result some days I wake up looking as if I belong on the set of the Walking Dead. This recipe is great for rejuvenation and restoration. The lemon and sugar in this recipe exfoliate the skin while the olive oil hydrates for a new, clean look:

- Juice squeezed from 1 lemon

- 2 tablespoons of sugar

- 1 tablespoon of olive oil

These food masks are quick and easy to make. The all natural ingredients are safe to put on your face, and you don't have to worry about harmful artificial ingredients. With these food face masks,  your skin will feel refreshed and you will be ready to take on anything that comes your way. Who said playing with your food was always bad?