My favorite part of my family's annual ski trips are, yes, the Belgian waffles. While skiing is certainly exciting, nothing seems to beat the taste of a warm, sweet Belgian Waffle after a long day. But, you don't need to go skiing to get the taste of that long-awaited Belgian Waffle. In fact, they're simple to make at home and lots of fun. Continue reading to learn how to make these warm winter delights! 

Dough: 

- 2 tsp dry active yeast

- 1 cup lukewarm milk 

- 1/4 cup regular (cane) sugar 

- 1 1/2 tsp salt 

- 2 whole eggs 

- 1 egg yolk

- 6 tbsp melted butter (about 3/4 stick)--but not too hot 

- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour 

Coating:

- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar 

Daria Levy

Recipe

1. Mix dry active yeast in lukewarm milk 

2. In a separate bowl, mix the sugar (1/4 cup), salt, two whole eggs, one egg yolk, and the melted butter. Please make sure the melted butter isn't too hot, as you might make scrambled eggs instead of waffles! 

3. In a separate large bowl, add all purpose flour, make a well, mix in milk and yeast, add the eggs and butter mix, and use hands to mix. Let sticky dough form. 

4. Knead dough for 5 minutes, shape into ball of dough. Place ball of dough in bowl, cover in plastic wrap, and place in dark environment (or place a cloth towel over the bowl). Let proof for about 45 minutes, allowing the dough to double in size. 

5. Punch gas out of dough, add the sugar for coating (1 1/2 cups). Mix it into dough for a few minutes until sugar is fully incorporated. 

6. Create 6-12 medium-sized balls on a tray, cover with plastic wrap, place in dark environment (towel is fine). Let proof for 10 minutes. 

7. Lightly grease waffle iron and heat up. Place slightly flattened dough ball in center of waffle iron. Lightly press waffle iron, allow to sit until golden brown. 

Enjoy! 

Daria Levy
Daria Levy

If you prefer your waffles extra sweet, these are perfect with caramel or chocolate drizzle. My favorite way to customize these waffles is with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream. Whether you prefer sweet or extra sweet, these waffles are ideal to enjoy by the fireplace or with a holiday movie. 

If you are interested in more recipes, please check out my friend Sarah Pinkowsky's recipe for making nut butter at home!