One of my favorite things to do during the summer is have a campfire on the weekends. My family always makes s'mores, but I love when we fix dinner on the fire. The open flame and smoke add a delicious flavor to ordinary recipes and make them classic campfire foods.

Don't worry about struggling to build a fire, though. Follow these foolproof ways to start a campfire and you'll be making the perfect campfire meal in no time. 

1. S'mores

What's the purpose of building a fire if you're not going to roast a few marshmallows? S'mores are the most common classic campfire food. If you want to get adventurous, replace the chocolate with a peanut butter cup or try these creative s'mores ideas to really impress your taste buds.

2. Campfire Pies (or Mountain Pies)

Think your favorite pie, but made like a grilled cheese. Butter one side of a slice of bread, lay it in the pie iron, fill with pie filling, butter one side of another slice of bread, lay it on top, and close the pie iron. Heat this up on the fire and enjoy your own personal pie.

3. Hobo Packs

Hobo packs are so much fun to make. It's easy to please everyone for dinner because they can customize their own just the way they want it. These can be made with any type of meat and vegetables. All you have to do is get some foil, throw in anything and everything you want, add a little oil or butter, wrap it up, and lay it on the fire. But be sure to turn it a couple times with a pair of tongs.

4. Chili

Like most things, chili seems to be so much better when it's made on the fire. Just make sure it's not sitting directly on the flame and keep stirring so it doesn't stick. Burnt chili is no good.

5. Hot dogs

meat, hot dog, sausage, mustard, bun, bread, Summer, BBQ, outdoors.
Sam Jesner

Another classic campfire food. If you make chili on the campfire, top the hotdog with some of that goodness. Otherwise, try one of these unexpected hot dog toppings.

6. Cooked Apples

I remember making these at the summer camp I went to when I was younger. You can customize them by adding some walnuts, cinnamon, caramel, etc. Also, try this with other fruits, like bananas with chocolate and marshmallows. 

Try these other easy and tasty camping foods on your next adventure outdoors. Don't forget to have some fun with campfire games everyone loves to play. Get out there this weekend, build a fire, and cook some of these classic campfire foods.