Exploring nature and breathing fresh air while bonding with those around you over the beauty of scenic vistas are some of the highlights of camping trips. However, nothing brings people together like when they are gathered around a campfire. Silly anecdotes of years past are told, and laughs and food are shared.

However, camping trips also mean roughing it every now and then depending on how serious you are about camping. When it comes time to rough it, sometimes there just isn’t much room for large bulky cooking supplies. It comes down to eating whatever is most convenient, however that shouldn’t mean you have to sacrifice taste.

Compiled here are some of the best foods to cook while camping, with taste and convenience in mind. So whether you are car camping or going primal for a night or two you can enjoy these recipes.

Breakfast

1. Blueberry Muffins

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This breakfast item is perfect for camping. After scooping out the orange and enjoying the citrus snack you can reuse the peels to bake muffins right on the campfire. How awesome is that? Check out how to bake these muffins here.

2. Doughnuts

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

Imagine waking up and appreciating the beauty and serenity of nature in the morning while eating a freshly made doughnut hot off your campfire. Get the recipe here.

3. Bacon on a stick

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

While camping, no one wants to deal with unnecessary weight or mess. Cooking with a stick is a great campfire method for convenience. What you may not know is that there is more technique to cooking with a stick than you think. Check it out here.

4. Eggs and bacon in a bag

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

Cooking your breakfast in a bag over the fire is another great way to cut down on supplies and mess. Find out how to properly keep the bag from catching flame here.

5. Cow horn biscuits

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This is a simple cooking-on-a-stick recipe and it’s perfect for filling with scrambled eggs afterward. Check it out here.

6. Hearty omelet

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This recipe is called the lumberjack breakfast because it’s a satisfying meal that will keep you full before your hike or other outdoor adventures, but also has minimal clean up. Get the recipe here.

Entrées

7. Shish Kebabs

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

If you have a skillet, cooking everything together is much quicker than holding each kebab you want to eat over the fire. Get the recipe here.

8. Crescent dogs

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This recipe is as simple as it looks. Check it out here.

9. Macaroni and cheese

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This recipe has a bit more cleanup involved, however if you are car camping, it shouldn’t be a problem. Check out the recipe for this cheesy goodness here.

10. Chili

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This is another recipe that requires a Dutch oven, so if you plan on bringing one, this is a great recipe that will fill up your camp party’s bellies for a cozy night under the stars. Get the recipe here.

11. Fish

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

If you are someone who likes to rough it when you go camping, here are some great recipes for freshly caught trout and salmon cooked right on your very own campfire. Check out how to clean the fish here and some great recipes here.

12. Venison

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

For the camper that really wants the authentic primal camping experience, learn how to clean your game here and check out a great recipe here.

Sides

13. Potatoes

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

They basically cook themselves, check out how these campers prepare their potatoes here.

14. Corn

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

Cooking over a fire with the husk on locks in moisture, but when it’s time to eat, the husk will peel back smoothly. Check it out here.

Desserts

15. Banana Boat

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

A chocolate filled banana delicacy grilled to perfection on your nearest campfire. Check it out here.

16. S’mores

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

Because how could I not include S’mores in a list of perfect campfire food? Check out some perfect S’mores techniques here.

17. Brownies

Campfire

Photo by Kevin Del Orbe

This works just as well with desserts as it does for breakfast muffins. Check it out here and enjoy!