The stereotypical college student may skip breakfast or grab a breakfast bar on the way out. Although those might be options that work for some people, I often find myself feeling tired, unfocused, and maybe even a little hangry without a proper breakfast. These are just some of the options for a breakfast that is filling and gives you the energy you need to take on the day. As an added bonus, all of these healthy dorm breakfasts require few ingredients and not a significant amount of meal prep or clean up, making them perfect for dorm-room cooking and for the busy life of a student. These options are simple, healthy, and are an easy way to start the day on the right foot.

1. Oatmeal

porridge, cereal, milk, oatmeal, sweet, muesli, rice
Christin Urso

Oatmeal is a nutrient full breakfast which can be easily prepared in the microwave or the refrigerator. Oatmeal is sold in pretty much any grocery store in a plethora of flavors. Whether apples and cinnamon, maple pecan, or brown sugar satisfy your taste buds, you can find it conveniently packaged in disposable bowls or paper packets.

If you want to get a little fancier, and want to avoid some of the sugar included in many of the flavored versions, you can add toppings such as crushed pecans or sliced strawberries, blueberries, or apples, as wells as raisins, or spices such as cinnamon to upgrade store-bought plain oatmeal.

Of course, if you follow any type of food social media, which if you are reading this article, I assume you do, I’m sure you are aware of the trend of using the refrigerator to “cook” oatmeal. This process entails using milk or a non-dairy milk, oats, and yogurt or toppings to suit your cravings. You combine the ingredients and leave the mixture in your refrigerator overnight and during that time to liquid softens the oats, “cooking” it. So, when you wake up, you have an already made delicious oatmeal breakfast.

2. Eggs

vegetable, bread, meat, tomato, corn, egg
Kelsey Emery

Eggs are a perfect source of protein and healthy fats, so they are a natural choice if you are looking for something to keep you fuller during the day. You can cook eggs in the microwave (or on the stove top if you have a kitchen in your dorm). Simply scramble the eggs then put them in a microwave safe bowl or large mug, and cook for 30 second increments until the eggs are cooked to your liking.

You can also add toppings such as spinach, tomatoes, and peppers to bulk up this breakfast. Season with salt, pepper, or hot sauce, and you have a simple breakfast made in minutes with just one dish to clean.

3. Yogurt Parfait

sweet, milk, honey, yogurt, berries, blueberry, blackberry, honer dipper
Sam Jesner

This breakfast is kind of like a healthy sundae. Simply layer the yogurt of your choice with fresh fruit, granola, or nuts. Yogurt is the perfect backdrop for other flavors, and this dish highlights that. The protein in the yogurt also gets your day off to a healthy start, not to mention the vitamins from the fruits.

4. Toast

avocado toast
Klaire Gubler

If you have access to a toaster, this breakfast is a natural choice. All you have to do is decide your flavor profile for your toast then add the toppings. You can make a sweet version by using nut butter, fruit, and a drizzle of honey or a savory one by using avocado and tomato. This breakfast takes very little time to put together and can be eaten on the go, like when you are rushing to your 8 AM class for example.

5. Peanut Butter with fruit

peanut butter, peanut, apple slice, Nut butter, almond butter, apples and peanut butter
Julia Gilman

This breakfast is as basic as it gets. I am definitely part of the population who could eat peanut butter with a spoon, so I have found myself enjoying peanut butter alongside fruits like apples and bananas for breakfast or a filling snack. I also like to top my apples and peanut with raisins, almost like the sweeter cousin of ants on a log (which is celery, peanut butter, and raisins). This breakfast offers a perfect combination of sweet and salty as well as protein and fiber to satisfy you and give you energy for the day.

The best part about these breakfasts is that they are customizable, simple, and healthy for any student. They are a low commitment, low work breakfasts that promise to make your day just a little better.