On days when you are running from one place to the next, have hours of homework ahead of you, and barely have a second to catch your breath, enjoying a healthy and unique meal is the last thing on your mind. This often being the case for high school and college students, it is much easier to pickup Chinese takeout than to whip up a homemade rice bowl. 

While understandable, situations such as this cause students to develop unhealthy eating habits and sacrifice taste; what is there to do when your pressed for time and resources, yet crave a healthy meal with a side of originality?

After experimenting with a variety of ingredients and flavors, I have created five one bowl meals. Each bowl focuses on the distinct tastes present in an area around the world and makes healthy substitutions where need be.

Adjusting these bowls to be gluten free, vegetarian, and vegan is super easy; simply substitute or take out ingredients that don't match your diet. If you really want to get ahead of the game, you can carve out an hour or two of your weekend to prepare the bowls, too! 

Deconstructed Taco Bowl

• 1/2 cup uncooked brown or white rice
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup lettuce
  • 1/2 an avocado
  • 1 tablespoon chopped onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon adobo
  • 1 teaspoon cilantro
  • 1/4 cup black beans
  • 2 tablespoons greek yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
  • 1 lime
lettuce, cheese, salad, pepper, tomato, vegetable
Zoe Malin

Add 1/2 cup of uncooked rice to a saucepan with boiling water. Cook rice until tender (time may vary).
    **Cooking the rice is the most time consuming part of this recipe. To speed up the process, cook the rice ahead of time or use microwaveable rice.

vegetable, cereal, risotto, rice
    Zoe Malin

Make guacamole! Blend the avocado, salt, pepper, adobo, and cilantro together using a food processor. Once blended, place into a bowl. After chopping the onion and 2 tablespoons of tomatoes, add to the blended avocado. Mix everything together and set aside.

pepper, parsley, ceviche, onion, tomato, salad, lettuce, vegetable
    Zoe Malin

Chop a 1/2 cup of lettuce and 1/4 cup of tomatoes. Slice a lime into wedges. Set aside.

citrus, lemon, lime
    Zoe Malin

Rinse the 1/4 cup of black beans. Set aside.

kidney bean, legume, pasture, azuki bean, vegetable, beans, black beans, coffee, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Construct your bowl! First, add the cooked rice to the bottom of the bowl. Add the chopped tomatoes, lettuce, and beans. Next, top with 2 tablespoons of the guacamole, 2 tablespoons of greek yogurt, and 2 tablespoons of shredded cheese. Squeeze the lime wedge's juice over the bowl. Finally, grab some corn tortilla chips, pour yourself a tall glass of ice cold lemonade, and let the foodie fiesta begin!

pasta, tomato, salad, vegetable
    Zoe Malin

Thai Buddha Bowl

• 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1/2 cup kale
  • 1/4 cup edamame beans
  • 1/4 shaved carrots
  • 1/4 an avocado
  • 1/4 cup chickpeas
  • 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
  • 2 tsp tahini
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp water
rice, vegetable
Zoe Malin

vegetable, cereal, risotto, rice
    Zoe Malin

Cut the kale leaves off of their stems and place into a microwaveable bowl with the edamame beans. Microwave until warm.

broccolini, spinach, vegetable, kale, broccoli
    Zoe Malin

Slice 1/4 of an avocado.

sweet, vegetable, guacamole, avocado
    Zoe Malin

Place the tahini, olive oil, and water into a blender or food processor and blend until the mixture reaches a liquid, sauce-like consistency.

coffee, flour, sweet, dairy, yogurt, cream, dairy product, milk
    Zoe Malin

Construct your bowl! Place the cooked rice at the bottom of the bowl and top with the warmed edamame and kale. Next, add the sliced avocado, shredded carrots, and chickpeas. Finally, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sunflower seeds over the bowl as well as a drizzle of the tahini sauce. Enjoy!

rice, vegetable
    Zoe Malin

Italian Caprese Pasta Bowl

• 1/2 cup pasta choice- preferably whole grain
  • 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
  • 1oz mozzarella cheese
  • a few basil leaves
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
vegetable, spaghetti, penne, tomato, sauce, macaroni, basil, pasta
Zoe Malin

Add 1/2 cup of dry whole grain pasta to a sauce pan with boiling water. Cook pasta until tender (time may vary).
    ***Cooking the pasta is the most time consuming part of this recipe. To speed up the process, cook the pasta ahead of time.

tagliatelle, wheat, carbohydrate, spaghetti, penne, pasta, macaroni
    Zoe Malin

Slice 1oz of mozzarella into cubes and cut the cherry tomatoes in fourths. Chop the basil.

basil, vegetable
    Zoe Malin

When the pasta has finished cooking, place into a microwaveable bowl. Add the cubed mozzarella to the pasta and warm in the microwave for 45 seconds. This melts the mozzarella.

sauce, fettuccine, carbohydrate, tagliatelle, penne, spaghetti, macaroni, pasta
    Zoe Malin

Next, add the chopped basil and tomatoes to the bowl with the mozzarella and pasta. Add one teaspoon of olive oil, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Last but not least... feast!

tomato, spaghetti, sauce, macaroni, penne, basil, pasta
    Zoe Malin

Southern Flare Bowl

• 1 potato
  • 1 can corn
  • 1/2 cup kale
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 cup cornflakes
  • 1 chicken breast
chicken, corn
Zoe Malin

First, prepare the cornflake crusted chicken. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.

custard, sweet, coffee, dairy product, cream, milk
    Zoe Malin

In a large plastic bag, add the cornflakes, salt, and pepper. Tightly seal the bag shut and crush the cornflakes. Once crushed, pour the cornflakes onto a plate.

corn, wheat, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Dip the chicken breast in the egg mixture and then place onto the plate with the cornflakes. Coat each side of the chicken breast with cornflakes.

honey, sweet, cereal
    Zoe Malin

Heat the oven to 350°F. Put the chicken on a cookie sheet covered with tinfoil and a little oil. Place into the oven until the chicken is fully cooked (about 30min). You know the chicken is done when you cut into it and the middle is white, not pink.

fish, salmon, barbecue, meat, chicken
    Zoe Malin

While the chicken is in the oven, cook the potato. Take a fork and poke numerous holes in the potato. Then, place the potato in a microwaveable safe bowl and microwave for about 4 minutes. The potato is finished cooking when it is completely soft and you are able to easily cut it.
    **Time may vary. If the potato is taking a while to cook/soften, poke more holes in it and place back in the microwave.

coconut, dairy product, milk
    Zoe Malin

Place the kale in a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté the kale until it begins to brown and softens.

broccoli, spinach, kale, vegetable
    Zoe Malin

Drain the can of corn and add 1/2 cup to a microwaveable safe bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute, or until hot.

legume, popcorn, sweet corn, meat, vegetable, cereal, corn
    Zoe Malin

When everything has finished cooking, assemble your bowl! First, cover the bottom of the bowl with the 1/2 cup of corn. Next, cut the potato in half and place both halves on top of the corn. Add the kale and top everything off with the cornflake crusted chicken. Now that's some healthy Southern cookin', y'all.

chicken, corn
    Zoe Malin

Coast-to-coast Caribbean Bowl

• 1/2 cup uncooked jasmine rice
  • 1 teaspoons allspice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 3oz tofu
  • sliced pineapple
  • 1 tablespoon walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon cranberries
sweet, pineapple
Zoe Malin

Add 1/2 cup of uncooked jasmine rice to a saucepan with boiling water. Cook rice until tender (time may vary).

vegetable, cereal, risotto, rice
    Zoe Malin

Make the jerk rub that will coat the tofu. Add all spices into a small bowl with the brown sugar, salt, pepper, and oil. Mix together.

cream, espresso, chocolate, coffee
    Zoe Malin

Cut the 3oz tofu into medium slices. Coat both sides of each slice of tofu in the jerk rub.

cream, chocolate, cake
    Zoe Malin

In a lightly oiled, heated skillet, cook the tofu. The tofu is done when it begins to brown on both sides.

Zoe Malin

Slice the pineapple and place onto a lightly oiled, heated skillet or grill. Cook both sides of the pineapple slices until they begin to soften and brown.

sweet, apple, pineapple
    Zoe Malin

Chop the walnuts and cranberries.

almond, peanut
    Zoe Malin

Construct your bowl! First, add the cooked jasmine rice to the bottom of the bowl. Next, layer the jerk tofu and cooked pineapple on top. Finally, sprinkle with the chopped cranberries. One bite of this meal-made-easy and you'll be transported to an island with sandy beaches and crystal blue seas!

vegetable, meat, pineapple, sweet
    Zoe Malin

Not only are each of these bowls bursting with flavor and as nutritious as can be, but they require no prior cooking skills and take no more than 45 minutes to prepare. Whether you're an on-the-go foodie in need of a new recipe to prep or a first-time chef looking to jump into cooking, these 5 One-bowl Wonders will become staples in your kitchen.