We have heard it before, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day," but when class starts at 8 am, it is hard to find time to make something to eat. Since you are probably too tired to think of some creative recipes, I thought of them for you. These five oatmeal recipes are yummy enough to get you out of bed and fuel you through even the longest morning of classes. 

Bonus: I even tested them to make sure they are Spoon Certified tasty. Not to mention, they are eaten with a SPOON, our all time favorite utensil, obviously.

MONDAY: PB Banana Oats

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup almond milk or any milk/ dairy-free alternative
  • 1 sliced banana
  • 2 tablespoon peanut butter any nut butter
  • Cinnamon to taste

Add oats and milk to a microwave safe bowl. Cook in microwave on high for 2-3 minutes. While cooking, slice a banana into thin slices.

Remove from microwave, top with banana, peanut butter, and cinnamon. Enjoy!

ice
Rebecca Alcosser

This recipe is guaranteed to keep you full till lunch, and give you the much-needed energy and focus for that rough Monday morning 8 am. If you are lucky enough to start class later in the day, enjoy these oats with some coffee in bed.

TUESDAY: Savory Miso Oats

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 tablespoon yellow miso paste
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 avocado
  • Sriracha to taste

Add 1/2 cup oats and 1 cup water to microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes.

While cooking, fry an egg to your liking. Remove oats from microwave, add 3 tablespoons yellow miso paste and stir into oats. Miso paste can differ in strength, depending on the brand, you may need to add more or less than 3 tablespoons.

Top oats with sliced 1/2 avocado, fried egg, and Sriracha to taste.

This recipe is a favorite, inspired by the once loved mello vello café on Westcott (why did you close?!) This recipe is a savory twist on the classic sweet breakfast option.

egg
Rebecca Alcosser

WEDNESDAY: Pumpkin Spice Chai Oats

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk any milk or dairy-free alternative
  • 1 scoop Trader Joe's Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte mix
  • Cinnamon to taste

Add oats and milk to a microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from microwave, add scoop of latte mix, top with cinnamon and any fruit you like, and enjoy.

chili, chicken
Rebecca Alcosser

THURSDAY: Matcha Coconut Oats

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1 scoop matcha powder or Trader Joe's matcha latte mix
  • Handful unsweetened shredded coconut

Combine oats and coconut milk in microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes.

Remove from microwave, add scoop matcha and combine. Add shredded coconut and dig in!

rice, chicken
Rebecca Alcosser

TGIF: BEC Oats

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheese your choice
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 egg
  • Bacon optional
  • Hot sauce to taste

Add oats, water, shredded cheese, and water to microwave safe bowl. Cook on high for 2-3 minutes.

While cooking, fry an egg, and slice an avocado. Remove the oats from the microwave, top with egg, bacon (optional), avocado and hot sauce.

avocado, egg
Rebecca Alcosser

All of these oatmeal recipes have the option to be overnight-style AKA made the night before and kept in the fridge to grab, microwave, and go in the morning. All you need is a mason jar with a lid, a microwave, plain oats of your choice and a few toppings that can be found at most grocery stores. All of my ingredients come from Trader Joe's and Wegman's, perfect for you SU students.

You made it through the week! Hope these oatmeal recipes helped make it even sweeter/savory-er! 

Keep on Spoonin'