Frequent and infrequent fliers alike know how disappointing airline food can be–plus, who wants to pay extra for a stale, sad-looking sandwich when you’ve already dropped major cash for the ticket? As someone who has a cross-country flight between college and my home, I’m always on the lookout for any way to amp up my in-flight experience. Below are three easy in-flight recipes that will be sure to make your travels a little more satisfactory.

Though these dishes may not look like much, I promise that chowing down on a hot, (relatively) fresh meal will make your time in the sky infinitely more enjoyable. Now, grab your Tupperware and give one a try the next time you’re flying high! 

In-The-Sky Pad Thai

• 1 serving instant rice noodles
  • 1 packet peanut butter
  • 1-2 packet hot sauce
  • 1 packet ketchup
  • 1 packet soy sauce
  • 1 packet airplane peanuts -- optional
Alyssa Romo

If you're in the mood for some spice while flying high, this is the recipe for you. Kindly ask a flight attendant for 1 cup of hot water (or 2, depending on how many noodles you have) and some cutlery. Add the hot water to the noodles, cover with a lid, and cook according to the packaging (usually for 3-5 minutes). Drain the excess water back into the cup. Add the peanut butter, hot sauce, ketchup, and soy sauce, and mix well. If your flight offers free peanuts, don't be afraid to add those in for a little crunch. Dig in!

One-Scoop Taco Soup

• 1 packet instant rice
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • Tortilla chips -- handful
Alyssa Romo

Why are airplanes so freakin’ cold? Keep warm with this easy bowl of taco soup. Nicely ask a flight attendant for a cup of hot water and some cutlery. Pour the hot water onto the instant rice (you should have two times as much water as instant rice), and leave it sealed for 1 hour. Scoop in taco seasoning (to taste) and crumble tortilla chips on top. You'll be nice and toasty in no time!

Flying High Apple Pie Bowl

• 1 pack plain oatmeal
  • Dried apple chips -- handful
  • 1-2 packets brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon -- easy to find in airport coffee shops
Alyssa Romo

This bowl is perfect for when you’re in the mood for something sweet. Ask a flight attendant for a cup of hot water. Place the oatmeal in a bowl and add the hot water. Next, add the apple chips, sugar packets, and cinnamon. Mix together. Now you have an instant pie in the sky!

Now that you see how easy it can be to make a satisfying meal on board, I hope you are inspired to invent some in-flight recipes of your own. Just remember to know the TSA regulations, keep your liquids at 3.4 oz or less, and have a safe and yummy flight!

For more on how to make flying more enjoyable, check out these articles:

- 13 Pro Tips for Surviving Your Long-Haul Flight

- 5 Essential Healthy Snacks to Bring on Your Next Flight

- 11 Airplane Food Hacks to Improve your Sky-High Dining Experience