Everyone loves a charcuterie board (and a butter board!) but, there’s nothing worse than being stuffed like a turkey before you can even eat turkey on Thanksgiving. It’s *so* easy to overeat and fill up on appetizers, but because Thanksgiving is every foodie’s marathon, you need to make sure to save room for your favorites, like mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and cranberry sauce.

So, skip the heavy hors d'oeuvres this year and make some lighter starters. And no – that doesn’t mean putting out boring crudités.

Check out our solutions below to achieve elevated, easy, quick, and light appetizers that your guests will love munching on – and won’t be too full to enjoy dinner, later!

Cailey Tervo

This first light appetizer is a crowd-pleaser, and hits all the marks of a good starter: it’s bite-sized, flavorful, and looks fancy, but really just has ingredients most people love, and are familiar with. Bonus? It adds a ton of color to your table!

Mini Caprese Skewers

• Cook Time:0

• Cherry Tomatoes
  • Mozzarella Pearls
  • Fresh Basil
  • Balsamic Glaze

First, cut your washed cherry tomatoes in half the short way. (We recommend the colorful variety of cherry tomatoes!)

Next, using a toothpick, stack your ingredients. Start with the top of the cherry tomato.

Then, add one mozzarella pearl, a piece of fresh basil, another mozzarella pearl, and the bottom half of the cherry tomato. (We recommend folding the piece of basil up, or ripping it in half so it's not covering the rest of the toothpick.)

Once you have your serving plate filled with your Mini Caprese Skewers, drizzle some balsamic glaze over them.

Then serve, and eat! Your guests will love this colorful appetizer!

Cailey Tervo

Greek Cucumber Bites

• Cook Time:0

• Cucumbers
  • Hummus
  • Feta Cheese Crumbles
  • Cherry Tomatoes
Cailey Tervo

First, wash and dry your cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

Next, cut the cucumbers into medium-sized discs, and cut the cherry tomatoes in half.

Then, put a small spoonful of hummus on each cucumber.

Sprinkle feta cheese onto the hummus, and top it off with half of a cherry tomato.

Then serve, and eat these delicious Greek Cucumber Bites!

Cailey Tervo

If you’re looking to upgrade your appetizers for this Thanksgiving, smoked salmon is always a great go-to, since it’s a favorite and simple to put together.

Smoked Salmon and Crème Fraiche

• Cook Time:0

• Smoked Salmon
  • Crème Fraiche
  • Water Crackers
Cailey Tervo

First, place the water crackers down on the serving platter.

Next, use a spoon to scoop up a dollop of Crème Fraiche.

Then, get a piece of smoked salmon and rip it up into a small, foldable piece to top off the cracker.

Finally, serve and enjoy! So easy, delicious, and light!

Cailey Tervo

With these tasty and non-filling apps, you’ll be able to spend the entire day eating with the people you love. Happy Thanksgiving!

Do you want more appetizer recipes? Check out some of our favorites from the Spoon University community! 

If you’re craving a classic, try this Bruschetta.

If you want to make something unique, try these Spinach and Cheese Blondies.

If you’re hosting a Friendsgiving party, try these dorm-friendly recipes.

If you’re looking for a vegetarian option, try these Mushroom Turnovers.

If your family wants some comfort food, try these cheesy appetizers.

Happy Thanksgiving!  

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎