Growing up in a household where we had rice with most meals, I have seen endless ways in which this versatile staple can be used. The downside, however, is that it takes some time and planning ahead to make. With the measuring, washing, and cooking time, it can be a challenge for college students to cook up during busy midterm and project weeks, let alone incorporate into complex meals. In times like this, instant rice has been a lifesaver: just pop it into the microwave for 1.5-2 minutes, and it's ready to eat!

Below are three simple ways you can elevate your meal with just a handful of ingredients. Feel free to swap any ingredients for the ones you have in your fridge or try adding your favorite toppings — these recipes are flexible! Since rice tastes good with just about anything, it's hard to go wrong while experimenting with new flavors.

Spoon Tip: For the ultimate comfort meal, try pairing these rice recipes with instant ramen!

Bapjeon/Rice Pancakes (밥전)

• 2 bowls instant rice
  • 1 tbsp chopped carrots
  • 1 tbsp chopped onion
  • 1 tbsp chopped green onion
  • 2 tbsp chopped ham or other protein
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • cooking oil
  • mozzarella cheese
  • dried seaweed
Youngbin Yoon

Place the uncooked rice in a bowl. Mix in all of the other ingredients until well-combined.

Youngbin Yoon

Heat about 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. On medium-low heat, spread half of the mixture into a pancake shape. Cook for about 4 minutes.

Youngbin Yoon

Flip over the pancake and cook until both sides are golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Serve plain or sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and slivers of dried seaweed.

Tuna Mayonnaise Rice Balls (참치마요 주먹밥)

• 1 bowl instant rice
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 5 oz can tuna
  • 2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1 pack dried seaweed
  • salt and pepper
Youngbin Yoon

Heat the rice per instructions. In a bowl, mix the rice and sesame oil with a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool.

Youngbin Yoon

In a separate bowl, mix the tuna and mayonnaise with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Youngbin Yoon

Place a palm-sized amount of rice into one hand and shape a well in the middle. Carefully add one spoonful of the tuna mixture into the well.

Youngbin Yoon

Use another spoonful of rice to cover the well. Lightly shape the rice into a ball and repeat with the remaining ingredients.

Cut the seaweed into strips about 0.5-1 inch wide. Wrap one strip around the circumference of each rice ball and serve.

Youngbin Yoon

Korean Rice Balls (주먹밥) with Vegetable Seasoning

• 1 bowl instant rice
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 pack rice seasoning
Youngbin Yoon

Heat up instant rice using instructions. In a bowl, mix the rice with the sesame oil and rice seasoning.

Youngbin Yoon

Shape the rice into 4 palm-sized balls and serve.

Youngbin Yoon

While these recipes are a great starting point, there are endless ways to take instant rice to the next level. For example, try adding uncooked instant rice as a base for your fried rice recipes, or explore these different mix-ins you can add for a more flavorful meal. Happy cooking!