One of my first memories of winter consists of the times my grandmother and I would make large batches of hot chocolate on the stove. Nowadays, even the slightest smell of Swiss Miss creates nostalgia for me. However, in recent years drinking hot chocolate just hasn't been as exciting as it used to be. This is where spiked hot chocolate comes in.

This winter, I decided to take my ordinary hot chocolate and transform it into a central part of the season, and I did so with copious amounts of alcohol. After heavy-duty deliberation, and a few pounds of chocolate, I compiled a list of 10 spiked hot chocolate recipes that I'm sure even my grandma would approve of.

1. Mulled Wine Hot Chocolate 

coffee, espresso, tea, milk, cappuccino, chocolate
Emma Danbury

This spiked hot chocolate combines two of the best hot drinks of the season. With fall spice flavors and smooth dark chocolate, this mulled wine hot chocolate recipe features a surprise note of citrus from clementines that keeps all of the rich ingredients from becoming too overpowering.

2. Campfire S'mores Hot Chocolate Cocktail

I don't know about you, but my fall would not be complete without bonfires and s'mores. In colder weather, nothing beats this dynamic duo. However, when you're not in the mood for a bonfire, this boozy take on a holiday drink brings the fun indoors with an adult twist. 

#SpoonTip: Toast your marshmallows or marshmallow fluff with a stick lighter if you don't have a torch lying around.

3. Easy Boozy Peppermint Hot Chocolate

goody, ice, candy, whipped cream, hot chocolate, coffee, sweet, milk, chocolate, cream
Julia Muro

Peppermint and chocolate are the epitome of a classic combo. Nothing goes together quite like these two. Put some of those candy canes you have lying around to stir the crisp and sweet peppermint hot chocolate that takes no time at all to whip up. Thin Mints have nothing on this adult drink. 

4. Fireball Mexican Hot Chocolate

Sometimes the physical heat of a winter drink just isn't enough. Cinnamon whiskey, cloves, dried chili pepper, and coffee warm up this spiked hot chocolate and pay some serious homage to the Mexican culture's affinity for spiced chocolate.

5. Vodka Hot Chocolate

jelly, jam, tea
Allison Curley

When you really want to cut to the chase for a night of drinking, vodka is the answer. With this vodka hot chocolate recipe, a shot of coffee vodka and a shot of vanilla vodka are the answers. Don't let the sweetness of the flavored vodka fool you, it packs a real punch.

#SpoonTip: Make this recipe in a mason jar by adding all of the ingredients, screw on the lid, and shake.

6. Boozy Nutella Hot Chocolate

Another hot chocolate trend is using Nutella as the chocolate base for the drink. The simplicity of this boozy hot chocolate recipe works with the deep hazelnut flavor of the Schnapps that complements the Nutella without overpowering it.

7. Barely-There Boozy Hot Chocolate

coffee, espresso, milk, cappuccino, cream
Maddie Lanier

After a little too much eggnog, a strong holiday drink may not be ideal. A light hand and mild alcohol make this spiked hot chocolate recipe good for a function with grandparents or a festive party.

8. Whiskey Hot Chocolate

The honey and caramel notes of whiskey are complemented by the chocolate in this spiked hot chocolate recipe. I recommend using dark chocolate chips to add a richness that the pinch of chili power needs.

9. Baileys Hot Chocolate

dairy product, hot chocolate, whipped cream, mocha, espresso, sweet, chocolate, cappuccino, cream, coffee, milk
Julia Press

Baileys Irish Cream was made for drinks like spiked hot chocolate. A tried and true combination, Baileys hot chocolate can keep you warm with its simple, yet delicious proportion of rich cream liquor and the hot chocolate of your choosing.

10. Boozy Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate

Fall may be over but that doesn't mean we have to like it. This white hot chocolate recipe is for everyone unwilling to let go of pumpkin spice season. White chocolate keeps the pumpkin notes from being lost and is a creamy compliment to the nutmeg in the pumpkin pie spice.

With this long list of possibilities, the biggest challenge of the season may very well be deciding which recipe to make first. Whatever your drink of choice, remember to keep your cup fresh and full of spiked hot chocolate.