These days, it seems like food trends come and go faster than fashion trends do. CBD infused food, oat milk, avocado toast... the list goes on. So when I first heard about Soul Smoothies, I was intrigued by their mission to cater to the needs of college students while also trying to keep up with the latest in food fashion.

What Is It?

Kristen Yee

Soul Smoothies is located in Siegel Café at the Ross School of Business. Right in the heart of the bustling UMich campus, it boasts quick, healthy options for students on the go. When I first tried their smoothies, I was actually impressed. Their original releases include Hail Kale, Maize n' Berry, and the Crisler Colada, but they have since added some more options (see their menu below). I was pleasantly surprised by the sweet but not overpowering flavors of fresh ingredients that had no preservatives or artificial sweeteners added.

Kristen Yee

Why It's ~Convenient~

Kristen Yee

Above all, my favorite part about Soul Smoothies is how student-oriented it is. If you order via their app (just search Soul Smoothies in the App Store and look for their logo), students get a discount on the items they order (roughly $1 off!) The app also offers a custom smoothie option, so students can add and remove ingredients as they please. It also focuses on efficiency, so students can set a specific pick up time for their smoothies, meaning you can designate an actual time that your smoothie will be ready for you! I appreciated the security of knowing exactly when my drink would be ready, unlike Starbucks where mobile ordering can be a gamble: between a twenty-minute wait (especially during busy hours between classes) or your drink sitting out for too long before you get there. While the sheer number of options in Ann Arbor can be overwhelming, Soul Smoothies offers a new option in a convenient way.

Why It's Different

Kristen Yee

The reason Soul Smoothies is so great at catering to students' needs is because it is actually run by students. Founded by a group of UofM students two years ago, it stays true to student values. I spoke with co-founder Sabeen Khan, a current junior in the Ross School of Business, about her experience with Soul and their visions. "We definitely want to keep it student-run; that's how it started and I think it is one of our core values." Owned and operated entirely by students (that's right, all employees are also students), Soul Smoothies has a unique market in creating a student-specific company that maintains a staff comprised entirely of individuals ages 18-22 to meet those needs.

If you want to support a local student-run company, make sure to download the app! You can scan the QR code above and your second order through the app is free.