D.C. has farmers markets in every neighborhood and on every day of the week, but they're all different. It's nearly impossible to visit all of them. So how do you know where to go to get what you need? That's what we're here for! This is your guide to the booming D.C. farmers market scene.

What’re you looking for?

Produce:

Typically a staple of farmers markets, but some markets have a greater variety of fresh fruits and veggies than others.

Here are some of the best ones:

Dupont Circle—Sundays, 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

Easily one of the biggest D.C. farmers markets, it has tents of produce (and coffee, pastries and prepared foods) across two blocks. This is the best place to go for your weekly fresh produce fix. The rainbow of heirloom tomatoes, juicy peaches, and vibrant greens is incredible. They even have a tent sponsored by Whole Foods.

Maya Shydlowski-Besmer

USDA—Fridays, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

This D.C. farmers market focuses a lot on local and organic farmers. The vendors are usually from within 200 miles of Washington. Even the prepared foods at the market are made with 75% locally grown ingredients.

Penn Quarter—Thursdays, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. 

This one accepts food stamps! This FreshFarm market is located in an area that used to be called the Center Market neighborhood. This area has been the location for D.C. locals to get fresh produce for over 100 years. There’s nothing more appropriate than being a part of history by visiting this farmers market in the heart of the capital.

Prepared Foods:

As great as fresh produce is, sometimes all you want is a scrumptious treat or lunch while walking around. Instead of stopping for a sit-down meal or grabbing your usual food truck sandwich, these farmers markets are great for freshly made foods that support small businesses.

Foggy Bottom—Wednesdays 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Right off the Metro, this D.C. farmers market is easily accessible and has a variety of prepared foods. From wood-fired pizza to killer paella to gluten-free pastries, this small but mighty market has something for every taste palette. It stretches the short distance of a plaza outside the George Washington School of Medicine, and is 100% worth it. The tents include produce as well, but it is best known for the dinners or cup of tea you can pick up while you're there.

By the White House—Thursdays, 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 

This D.C. farmers market brings together a diverse array of cultures with its food tents. Whether you’re in the mood for Mexican, Greek, Italian, Mediterranean, Southern, Chinese, French, or Austrian, you can find your fill here. The prepared foods range from full meals to pastries to snacks and spreads.

Capital Harvest—Fridays, 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Ice cream, arepas, and crepes, oh my! You will not want to miss this D.C. farmers market every Friday. Treat yourself to something sweet or something savory, it's up to you. This market has you covered for it all. A weekly trip for a great end-of-the-week lunch from one of the vendors is a must.

Meats, Cheeses, Fish, Breads:

Farmers markets are no longer for only fruits and veggies! Farmers markets have expanded to include meat, eggs, cheeses and even milks from organically and locally raised animals. Many different bakeries with delicious breads are also now featured in many markets. This is just proof that you really can survive on solely farmers markets.

Eastern Market—Tuesday through Sunday, varied hours.

This year-round market is similar to Philly’s Reading Terminal or New York’s Chelsea Market, with its own twist. On weekends in the summer, this market is bustling with both indoor and outdoor vendors. During the week, it’s a perfect place to get any fresh meats or fish you need (and there are a lot). Inside there's also a small produce stand, flowers, breads, cheeses and sandwiches.

Adams Morgan—Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  

This small market is just a few vendors, but is a perfect quick stop for when you’re walking through the neighborhood. It is located at the intersection of the two major streets in the area, making it a popular spot to grab some delicious bread or flowers.

Rose Park—Wednesdays, 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. This D.C. farmers market is also fairly small, with vendors that change frequently. You can taste some locally made cheeses here while getting hummus and popsicles. Right at the edge of Georgetown and next to a park, it is family-friendly. The seven or so tents that line the park are great for quick shopping.

Good luck with future navigations!