Being gluten-free is hard, and finding sweet treats that fit within the gluten-free restriction isn't any easier. Luckily, there are a bunch of bakeries in and around the D.C. area that have plenty of options for gluten-free foodies. If you're looking to treat your sweet tooth without causing some physical pain, you're gonna need to know the best gluten-free bakeries in DC.

As someone who is proudly a gluten-free foodie, I know how important it is to get your *allergen approved* cupcakes in. These are all the gluten-free bakeries in DC that I go to for my fix. 

Rise Bakery

Rise Bakery is an entirely gluten-free bakery that specializes in breads, bagels, and pastries. It's not often you find a gluten-free croissant that's as delicious as Rise's (though, tbh, it's also not often that you'd find a gluten-free croissant anywhere). From savory sandwiches to muffins and pies, gluten-free foodies can order anything off of Rise's menu without thinking twice.

2409 18th Street NW, Washington, D.C.

(Find out where else you can get Rise's baked goods here).

Olivia Macaron

Thank god macarons are naturally gluten-free. Made with almond flour, macarons are the ideal GF snack, and Olivia Macaron's are no exception. From original flavors like vanilla bean (my personal favorite) and pistachio, to off-the-wall options like honey lavender and pumpkin spice, these macarons are the perfect treats to pick up while walking through Georgetown. 

3222 M Street NW, Washington, D.C.

Sweet Crimes

Sweet Crimes' mission is to show the world that gluten-free products can be as moist and delicious as any other baked goods. With an extensive menu of cookies, pies, custom-order cakes, donuts, and donut holes (because it's truly a crime that not all munchkins are gluten-free), GF foodies don't have to worry when taking a bite of one of these amazing goodies. 

1369 New York Avenue NE, Washington, D.C.                          

(Find out where else you can get Sweet Crimes' baked goods here). 

Sticky Fingers Sweets & Eats

Sticky Fingers has an awesome weekend brunch menu with wheat-free options available for a ton of their dishes, including pancakes, breakfast burritos, and quesadillas. If you're just looking for a sweet treat, I highly recommend the Silly Bonez. With chocolate cake, peanut butter frosting, and a chocolate coating, this treat is truly heaven for any gluten-free sweet tooth.

1370 Park Road NW, Washington, D.C.

Georgetown Cupcake

A true staple of M Street, Georgetown Cupcake always has a gluten-free option (if you're willing to wait in line with the rest of the DC tourists). Georgetown Cupcake's gluten-free flavor changes every day, but you can check here to see which flavor is available each day of the week. 

3301 M Street NW, Washington, D.C.

Sugar Shack Donuts and Coffee

Ranked in the Top 10 Tastiest Donuts in America, Sugar Shack's donuts are rolled and hand cut throughout the day, and they only use the freshest of ingredients. Their selection of flavors is truly eclectic, and they're ranked by its rareness on their website. Sugar Shack's available flavors, including those that are gluten-free, rotate daily, but some of their of my favorites include chocolate pistachio, caramel macchiato, and blackberry lavender.

1932 9th Street NW, Washington, D.C.

Red Velvet Cupcakery

Red Velvet Cupcakery's sweets are both elegant and delicious. Their trained pastry chefs use Valrhona cocoa powder and chocolate "buttercream" to make a Black Velvet cupcake that is vegan, gluten-free, and truly to die for.

505 7th Street NW, Washington, D.C.

Sprinkles Cupcakes

Although Sprinkles only has one GF cupcake, it's Red Velvet and so freaking worth it. They also have a phenomenal gluten-free chocolate chip cookie that pairs perfectly with vanilla bean or mint-chip ice cream to make an ice cream sandwich. I'd recommend ordering a frozen hot chocolate on the side for an ideal afternoon snack. 

3015 M Street NW, Washington, D.C.

Baked & Wired

Baked & Wired has a bunch a bunch of gluten-free options such as the Razzmanian Devil (lemon cake with raspberry filling and lemon buttercream topping), and the Gluten Free Blondie (blonde brownie with caramel, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and crushed peanuts). Take a walk along the Georgetown waterfront, and pick up a GF snack from Baked & Wired on your way back to campus for the perfect finals study break. 

1052 Thomas Jefferson Street NW, Washington, D.C.

There's no need to feel like you're out of luck if you're a gluten-free foodie craving dessert or an afternoon snack in DC. If you're ever in need of a sweet treat, take a trip to one of the best gluten-free bakeries in DC.