I recently traveled in Israel for 10 days, and I was pleasantly surprised that I learned a lot about Israeli food in just a short amount of time. I cannot, by any means, claim to be an expert, but I definitely learned a thing or two about the delicious and nuanced world of Israeli cuisine. From the good to the not-so-good, and everything in between, I found the Israeli food scene to be entirely one-of-a-kind. After having the opportunity to try foods that were unlike anything I had ever eaten before, I learned some pretty cool facts about food in Israel along the way.

1. Iced Aroma Coffee is a must

In 1994, Aroma Espresso Bar opened as the first espresso bar in Israel, and it is currently the largest coffee chain in the country. With over 140 locations throughout Israel, it is always easy to get your coffee fix. Although I'm not personally an avid coffee drinker, I came to understand the Israeli love for Aroma quickly.

Their Iced Aroma Coffee has the consistency of a milkshake, and it tastes amazing—it's sweet, yet not too sweet, caffeinated, but without too much of a punch. Should you ever find yourself in Israel, trying Aroma's iced coffee is an absolute must. Though there are Aroma locations in the U.S. now too, nothing is quite like the Israeli version.

2. Oranges are everywhere

juice, citrus, tangerine, orange
Amelia Hitchens

The oranges in Israel, namely the staple Jaffa orange, have a straight-off-the-vine flavor that is too good to resist. They're sweet and juicy in the best way possible. Especially during the winter season, these oranges can be found everywhere from lining market stalls, to being served at restaurant buffets. You can easily find an orange anywhere to satisfy that sweet fruit craving, and nothing tastes quite as perfect and satisfying.

3. Don't expect to find berries easily

berry, raspberry, sweet, strawberry
Torey Walsh

While there are certainly berries in Israel, I noticed that they were difficult to find, especially at the markets. While there were always oranges, strawberries, and pomegranates being sold, I could not find raspberries, blackberries, or blueberries during my winter market escapades.

These berries are difficult to find because insects that may be found on fruit and vegetables are not kosher. These products must always be carefully checked for insects to ensure that they abide by the kashrut standards. Either way, you'll always have sweet, whole fruit for when you can't spot the berries you're craving. 

4. There are many different types of dates

While at the Machane Yehuda Market in Jerusalem, I encountered more dried fruit than I had ever imagined I would see all in one place. I was amazed by the various types of date palms, or dates, that were being sold. It was also interesting to test out the different types of dates offered, and I found that there were variations in taste between dates. Personally, I found the Medjool dates to be the tastiest, but the true fun was in trying all of the different options. 

5. There is falafel and shawarma on every corner

trio, Mediterranean, falafel, shwarma, Street food
Caroline Ingalls

With places serving falafel at every turn, it's almost impossible not to try a falafel in Israel. Remarkably, the numerous falafel restaurants that I passed always seemed to be filled with eager and hungry customers. In addition, Israeli restaurants and food vendors often sell shawarma, which usually consists of lamb that is cut directly from a block of meat and then served in a thick pita. Although I found that I prefer shawarma, both are delicious, authentic options, and are definitely worth trying.

6. It can be difficult to find food if you have a lot of allergies

cereal, corn, wheat, pasture, groats, sesame seed
Amy Yi

There was often a risk of cross-contamination in the kitchens, especially because nuts and gluten are so popular in Israeli cuisine and can be found in many kitchens. Although Israel offers a lot of different food options, it can still be very tricky to find allergy-friendly food, which is why my friend found it essential to make sure that restaurants could accommodate her allergies before we were even seated.

There was often a risk of cross-contamination in the kitchens, especially because nuts and gluten are a popular staple in Israeli cuisine. Although Israel offers a lot of different food options, it can still be very tricky to find allergy-friendly food, which is why my friend found it essential to make sure that restaurants could accommodate her allergies before we were even seated.

7. Tishbi Winery's restaurant is a true food gem

Zoe Engels

Located in the town of Zichron Yaakov, my lunch at Tishbi's restaurant marked my favorite Israeli culinary experience. With lots of options on the menu, it was difficult to make a decision, but my friend and I opted for fish and artichoke kabobs. These kabobs were served on cinnamon sticks instead of skewers and were covered in a curry sauce. We also split an Israeli salad, which tasted truly refreshing due to the cucumber, tomato, and lemon juice. Overall, the food we ate at Tishbi's was absolutely unique and unforgettable. 

8. Cinnamon sticks are a great alternative to kabob skewers

cinnamon, cookie, sweet, candy, chocolate
Natalie Rodriguez

Prior to eating at Tishbi's, I'd never seen cinnamon sticks in kabobs before. Then, at a hotel in Israel, I noticed that the buffet was serving a chicken kabob—also on a cinnamon stick. Before trying these kabobs, I thought it would be disgusting, but I found that the kabobs soak in the flavors of the cinnamon nicely. It wasn't overbearing, and the cinnamon enhanced the overall flavors of both the meat and fish kabobs. Are cinnamon sticks better than traditional skewers? I think it depends on the occasion and your mood, but you can be the judge.

All in all, I left Israel with a new appreciation for Aroma coffee, cinnamon sticks, dates and many other popular foods in Israel. Dining in Israel was always a unique and fun adventure, making it a nice change from the cuisine I've grown accustomed to here in the States. I'm happy that I had the opportunity to explore the Israeli food scene and I hope to travel back again soon.