Having just returned from being in Israel for 10 days on Birthright, I can definitely confirm that the food there is absolutely out of the world. It didn't matter if we were in a hotel in Tel Aviv or wandering the streets of Haifa, our meals lived up to our expectations. In order to get the full Middle Eastern and Mediterranean experience though, you need to try one thing, a shawarma wrap. The best shawarma in Israel is made up of three components, laffa (bread), shawarma (meat) and lots of toppings. 

1. The Laffa

chicken, pork, sandwich, beef
Madison Newman

Laffa is a thick bread wrap and is a typical type of flatbread in Israel. At first look, you may think that it's a pita, but Its dough is extremely soft and cushiony rivals the typical Israeli food item. Laffa is often freshly baked and served at cafès and open air markets around the country. Definitely check out the shawarma in Jerusalem and then take a walk into the center of the city and enjoy the views.

2. Shawarma

Shawarma is a type of meat served in Israel and the Middle East, and is often lamb, chicken or turkey. It is served by cutting off pieces with a knife from a block of the meat. Shawarma is eaten on a plate, wrap or sandwich and is similar to the meat in a Turkish kebab or Greek gyro. Since Israel is mainly a desert, don't expect to see beef at many shawarma stands because it's very expensive. 

3. Toppings

vegetable
Madison Newman

The toppings on a laffa shawarma often include tomato, cucumber, pickles, carrots, onions, peppers, tahini and Israeli hummus. If you're lucky, the place that is serving the shawarma may make their hummus homemade, which means that you technically have a home-run meal. If you're picky, you don't have to get all of the toppings, but together, they all taste great. Don't be surprised if some french fries make their way into your shawarma, do as the Israelis do and enjoy.