Grocery Checkout is a hidden gem at Queen's, located at the heart of campus in the ARC. While their fresh produce, ready-made meals, and customizable oatmeal bar are certainly great features, it is undoubtedly the bulk snacks section that is the real attraction.

Discussions of the best snacks that Checkout offers are hotly contested, between those who like chocolate versus those who prefer salty snacks. So, I set out to find out which snack is truly the best through a highly scientific process (edit: eating a ridiculous amount of chocolate).

9) Yogurt-Covered Pretzels

Channel your inner Stanley Hudson with the perfect mix of crunchy, salty pretzels and creamy yogurt. Bonus: they're a (relatively) quiet snack to bring to the library and have an added dose of calcium because of the yogurt.

8) Mac-Corry Maze Mix

waffle, sweet, chocolate, candy, wafer, cookie, milk
Susanna Tuan

Named notoriously after the most confusing building on Queen's campus, this refreshing mix of salty and sweet snacks is a hidden treasure at Grocery Checkout, mixing so many different kinds of tasty treats, all in one package.

7) Banana Chips

Banana chips are a great way to get a serving of fruits and veggies that you can leave in your bag to snack on throughout the day. With your daily serving of potassium, they're also great on top of oatmeal or cereal. 

6) Fuzzy Peaches

pasture, nectarine, peach, apple
Dea Uy

A Halloween classic that gives you a much-needed sugar rush for running between afternoon classes. They're also super cheap and great mixed with sour watermelon candy as well! #SpoonTip: Try them vodka-soaked for a boozy twist!

5) Chocolate Covered Gummy Bears

Chocolate covered gummy bear are truly the best of both worlds (shoutout to Hannah Montana) because they combine the childhood nostalgia of a life without midterms and the sugar rush that chocolate provides to get you through a long night of studying.

4) Sesame Sticks

cereal, millet, wheat, quinoa, condiment, corn, sesame seed
Christin Urso

One of the most underrated for sure, but 10/10 in my books. They're surprisingly filling, giving you great bang for your buck and really great on top of salads instead of croutons or nuts. #Spoontip: Throw these in your bag at the beginning of the week for a filling snack during your busiest days

3) Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans

Cause sometimes one coffee doesn't cut it, am I right? If you are pulling an all nighter and want something to munch on, chocolate espresso beans are your answer. These are also great for that New Year's resolution you made to drink less caffeine (but no one ever said anything about not eating it, right? Right?). 

2) Corn Chips with Flax Seeds

cracker, wheat, corn, cookie, tortilla chips
Katherine Baker

I don't know what it is that makes these chips so addictive, but my housemate and I inhaled a giant bag of them in less than a day. #SpoonTip: Dip them in hummus or guac for some added protein!

1) Chocolate covered almonds 

A true classic, a fan favourite, and actually kinda healthy (Almonds are the most calcium-rich nut and they have 9 grams of monounsaturated fat which is good for your heart). They come in both milk and dark chocolate varieties, and they're a great snack for any time of day.

Grocery Checkout is a blessing to the Queen's community and provides snacks for all occasions; going to the library, nibbling in class, studying for a midterm, curing a hangover, getting the munchies, and for when you could just use a pick me up.