I've been both blessed and spoiled to have lived near south campus during my four years at Northwestern. South campus is near downtown Evanston, which is a bustling area full of yummy places to eat or cool coffee shops to do grind out work. However, north campus seems to be lacking in the food department, and I know all you pre-meds get hungry after those late-night labs in Tech. Well, not anymore, now that Stacked & Folded is open.

About Stacked & Folded

Located just steps away from the Noyes stop, Stacked & Folded is a family-friendly restaurant that's affordable enough for the average college student. Its owner, Josh Keating, opened its first location in Winnetka and was looking to expand into Evanston because of his connections to the North Shore. Born and raised just a few miles away from NU's campus, when the opportunity and space became available, Keating took it to create a social house similar to South campus Cupitol's to "serve everybody." Already since its opening in late May, Keating has took it upon himself to tailor the Evanston location to serve the needs of the families and students living in the area, whether it be by providing Wi-Fi so the restaurant is more of a "social house" than a fast food place or planning to launch an online ordering service for those busy, on-the-go mornings when you still need a healthy, filling breakfast.

Stacked

Hofherr Meats Korean Short Rib Banh Mi

Jeanne Paulino

First up, we've got the Korean short rib banh mi, which is one of the most popular dishes at Stacked & Folded. All the meat is locally-sourced from Second City Prime and of the best quality, which you can definitely taste in this sandwich. Although it was a bit dry, the meat was tender, and the accompanying daikon slaw and spicy serrano pepper aioli added some much-appreciated acidity and heat.

#SpoonTip: All sandwiches come with your choice of side, and I highly recommend the sweet potato fries—they're the best I've ever had.

Forked

Garlic Lime Shrimp Salad

Jeanne Paulino

Summertime calls for some fresh flavors and seafood, and there's nothing more fitting than the garlic shrimp salad from Stacked & Folded. It's served with a balsamic honey dressing, but you honestly might not need it because the shrimp, slaw, and fresh pico de gallo are flavorful on its own, which is a testament to its quality. This dish is so hearty and healthy that my roommate, Ashley, got hooked, and the garlic shrimp salad, along with the sweet potato fries, have become her go-to order.

Falafel Salad

Jeanne Paulino

For all my vegetarians friends, don't worry, Stacked & Folded hasn't forgotten about you. Look, I'm not a huge salad gal. I much prefer a nice sandwich. But the falafel salad from Stacked & Folded might just convert me, because it's not your average, boring salad. The crispy, seasoned falafel is served with a tangy tzatziki sauce, chunks of fresh feta, and, surprisingly my favorite part of the dish, pickled red onions. As an avid onion hater, Stacked & Folded has managed to get me into onions through pickling them, making the vegetable not only edible, but delectable. Stacked & Folded has managed to pickle their red onions in such a way that the bitterness is gone and replaced by a mild sweetness that I could honestly have atop all my savory meals.

Folded

Ahi Tuna Poke Tacos

Jeanne Paulino

Last but certainly not least are the Ahi Tuna Poke tacos. Poke and tacos are two of my favorite foods, but I didn't know how well they would be combined together. Stacked & Folded surpassed my expectations and blew my mind with this fusion. The shell of the taco is a wonton that I could honestly eat on its own—it's got the perfect amount of salt and crunch. Nestled in between this crispy envelop is fresh tuna, creamy avocado, and loads of slaw and cucumbers, this dish is perfect as a side or a light entree. If you're going to get one thing at Stacked & Folded, get the Ahi Tuna Poke tacos. You can and will thank me later.

North campus, rejoice, for your prayers have been answered. Pay Stacked & Folded a visit and use your Wildcard for a discount to enjoy all things sandwiches, salads, tacos, and more. I can't recommend it enough.