As a coffee aficionado (some may even say addict), I am always looking for the greatest cup 'o joe that Durham can offer. Recently, my hunt for the perfect coffee brought me to Cocoa Cinnamon's newest location on Chapel Hill Street, where I was fortunate enough to sit down with one of the owners, Leon Grodski de Barrera. With the addition of churros to their menu and their very own micro-roastery, Cocoa Cinnamon's third location creates a delicious and distinct coffee shop experience for all latte-lovers.

Izzi Clark

Pieces in a Puzzle 

From its humble start as a traveling coffee bike, Cocoa Cinnamon has grown to become one of Durham's most iconic coffee shops. Through an outpouring of support from the community and hard work on the part of creators, Leon and Areli, the original vision of Cocoa Cinnamon was brought to life. 

The Chapel Hill Street location is the third shop to open in Durham. Rather than create a chain, Leon and Areli created three unique shops that complete each other. The latest edition to their "puzzle" includes its own micro-roastery from which Cocoa Cinnamon will source 90-95% of its own coffee as 4th Dimension Coffee Roasters. From bean to brew, Cocoa Cinnamon does it all themselves and you can really taste the difference.

Izzi Clark

New Menu, New Me

Izzi Clark

If Cocoa Cinnamon's third location is all about expansion, nowhere is this more reflected than in the menu itself. Far from just your typical coffee shop fare, Cocoa Cinnamon is serving up freshly made vegan churros, traditional Mexican drinking chocolates and innovative coffee creations.

Izzi Clark

I started my visit with the La Frida, a latte made with mole (a homemade chocolate "sauce") and topped with rose petals. Smooth and with a hint of rich chocolate, this latte was unlike anything I'd ever tasted. One sip and I knew that I would never again enjoy a plain mocha latte quite as much. 

Izzi Clark

The latte was accompanied by the decadent Morros de Torros, a churro topped with ice cream from The Parlour, chocolate sauce and sweetened condensed milk. Words cannot even begin to describe the perfection that is this dish. The crunch of the hot churro combined with the melting ice cream and slightly bitter taste of chocolate is the most incredible sensation I've ever experienced. If there ever was a dish that could create world peace, it would be the Morros de Torros.

Izzi Clark

To finish off my exploration of the menu, I treated myself to cinnamon and sugar churros with Granada, a Mexican drinking chocolate, for the road. Capable of being enjoyed alone or as a dipping sauce, the Granada put all other chocolate creations to shame. As someone who's only ever experienced amusement park churros, I wasn't prepared for how incredible Cocoa Cinnamon's churros would be. Crispy, sweet and fresh out of the fryer, the churros were the perfect finish to an amazing meal. And did I mention that they are vegan?

The Atmosphere

Izzi Clark

Drawing a lot from Mexican culture and art, Cocoa Cinnamon's third location is a vibrant and beautiful space. Whimsical umbrellas, a subtle nod to the other locations, hang from the ceiling. Colorful tables showcase the shop's Mexican influence. The original coffee bike stands near the counter as an espresso bar. Combined, these elements create a lively and special atmosphere that you really can't find anywhere else in Durham.

Cocoa Cinnamon has also elected to steer their newest shop in a different direction than the other two. With limited wifi access during weekdays and no electrical outlets, the newest location is a place where customers can come to enjoy their coffee and each other rather than their computer screens. For a busy Duke student, Cocoa Cinnamon's tech-free location provides the perfect oasis to decompress for a bit of time every week. 

Final Thoughts

Izzi Clark

As expected, Cocoa Cinnamon's third location exceeded my expectations and set the new standard for what a coffee shop should be. Combining authentic churros, outstanding coffee and a bright atmosphere, Cocoa Cinnamon's newest shop has firmly established itself in my top ten list of Durham coffee shops.