While some people stalk their rush crush or frat hook up on Instagram, you'll find me drooling over the freshest food trend. It was as if by fate that I stumbled on BomboBar, instantly loving what their feed had to offer.

I would practically drool on my phone just looking at the Italian style doughnuts, gelato and over the top hot chocolates. After months of likes on likes, I found myself in Chicago to try it first hand.

Walking Up

wine, tea, beer, coffee
Casey Irwin

Even though I was a religious liker, I somehow missed their Instagram bio, which specifically states, "walk-up window" and thought I would be walking into an establishment.

The covered window is easy to miss, but hard to forget. The heated tent around the window was just as appealing as I expected a regular shop to be, leaving me pumped to sit as I weighed my options.

The Taste Test

cake, buttercream, cupcake, cream
Casey Irwin

I only had one shot to try as much as possible, so I brought a friend along to split the challenge and calories with. It was a bit cold for gelato, but we tackled the donuts and drinks like champs.

Their bomboloni, or hole-less Italian donut, was a welcomed mess with tubes full of our chosen flavors. From s'mores to vanilla bean custard to choose from, this was nothing like a basic Dunkin' run.

pie, candy, sweet, pastry, cream, cake, chocolate
Casey Irwin

The fresh dough combined with the sugary toppings were perfect with my dirty chai. Each bite had a different ratio of dough-to-topping in it, but each was just as satisfying. 

coffee, ice, caramel, cream, chocolate
Casey Irwin

We had to push our stomachs to the edge with the S'mores Hotter Chocolate in its donut-and-marshmallow topped glory. It was about as extra as hot chocolate can get, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

After Thoughts

candy, pastry, chocolate, cake, sweet
Casey Irwin

It's safe to say I was dreaming of those donuts once the sugar crash hit. Luckily for my fellow Instagram admirers, BomboBar has more than just quality lighting going on for them - their pictures are that much more mouth watering now knowing how good everything tastes.