Telluride, Colorado– a town with deep history, breathtaking views, and incredible eats. Nestled in a former silver mining camp on the San Miguel river in the western San Juan Mountains, the town sits in a box canyon at an incredibly high altitude. With few direct flights and an airport 2 hours away, only devoted skiers make the trek here to shred on the slopes. Once they do, they're treated to chefs using local ingredients and churning out to-die-for meals.

For Lunch

1. Places des Crêpes

This crepe cart has been a favorite in Mountain Village for years. They are serving out fresh crepes with your choice of filling, both savory and sweet– my go to is banana Nutella. The cart is located at the base of Chair 4 next to Tracks, so head over there to enjoy a sweet treat on a beautiful day.  

2. Gorrono Ranch

Located on Chair 4, this old school ranch is serving comfort foods from bread bowls, mac and cheese, and barbecue. Live music is always playing and the locals hang out under string lights. Make sure to take advantage of the bar– local brews are on tap from the Telluride Brewing Company. 

3. Tracks

Also located in Mountain Village, Tracks is a quick go-to for huge sandwiches, teriyaki or southwest rice bowls, and desserts. This place is great for a quick and easy lunch to fuel up before heading onto the slopes. 

4. Oak Fat Alley BBQ 

Located at the base of town, Oak is a must for après-ski. With both indoor and outdoor seating, it's a great spot to rest and watch skiers come down the mountain. Chow down on pulled pork and huge bowls of salad, and make sure you don't skip their killer sweet potato fries.

5. Alpino Vino

vegetable, spinach, toast, lettuce, cheese, bread, tomato, sandwich
Samantha Locker

Located at the top of Gold Hill Express, Alpino Vino is a unique, outdoor lunch experience. At 11,966 feet, it's the highest elevation fine-dining restaurant in North America. The menu features panini, charcuterie boards, and an extensive wine list. So sit back, order a glass, and enjoy the views of the Wilson mountain ranges. I'll also recommend their signature grilled cheese and tomato soup– my personal favorite. 

For Dinner

1. 221 South Oak

toast, wheat, bread
Samantha Locker

Just steps from the Telluride gondola station, 221 was a quaint home that was renovated into a warm restaurant. The walls are filled with local art and comfy booths. They pride themselves on using the freshest ingredients, serving up daily baked bread, and making a creative menu for everyone to enjoy. The fact that the chef Eliza Gavin was featured on Season 10 of Top Chef is just another reason to dine here.

#SpoonTip: Ask for the vegetarian menu for fresh ideas on how to tackle a meatless diet

2. Altezza At The Peaks

balsamic, salad
Samantha Locker

Altezza is The Peaks' new, in-house Italian and modern restaurant formerly known as Palmyra. Dine with panoramic views of Mountain Village in the Peaks Hotel while enjoying Italian favorites like burrata, pasta, and chicken Parmesan. They also have a great bar menu with delicious snacks and shared plates.

3. Sheridan Chophouse

Telluride’s most social and historic steakhouse, the Sheridan Hotel is home to the Chophouse. Known for incredible steaks and sides, you'll never leave a meal here hungry. The dessert menu is also top-notch with creative classics and my favorite– the chocolate mouse, which is pictured above.  

4. Telluride Bistro

sauce, penne, pasta
Samantha Locker

Known as being the local's go-to restaurant, Telluride Bistro is tucked away in a small park in town. It has a wonderful atmosphere that's relaxed and friendly and, if it's not too cold, make sure to sit outside in the garden under string lights. The menu includes build-your-own pizza, incredible pastas, fish, and out-of-this-world tiramisu.

5. La Cocina De Luz

La Cocina De Luz is Telluride’s most authentic, organic Mexican restaurant. They also serve homemade ice cream and juices. You can’t go wrong with some guac, queso, and a quesadilla after a day on the slopes, finished off with a scoop of ice cream for dessert. A real local favorite. 

6. Black Iron Kitchen & Bar

salmon
Samantha Locker

Dine by electric fire pits and cover yourself in warm blankets in the lobby of the Madeline Hotel in Mountain Village. The menu at this gastropub is constantly evolving around what's fresh, local, and trending. Share a flatbread, drink a loaded bloody Mary, and roast fireside s'mores– all while jamming out to live music by local artists. 

So if you find yourself in the beautiful town of Telluride, know you will be skiing hard and eating harder. The endless food options and fresh, organic ingredients make Telluride a foodie paradise.