There are a few reasons why I love living in New York City: people, Broadway, and food. In addition to the numerous shops, food trucks, and restaurants, there are many different fairs and festivals held throughout the year. Going to a street fair is something you need to try at least once. They are home to some of the most unhealthy yet delicious treats that you can munch on.

1. Fried Oreos

Oreos are not only 'Milk's Favorite Cookie,' but they also very possible at fairs and festivals around the country. Oil, pancake mix, and eggs are whisked together to make a batter which coats the Oreos which are then dipped into a frier until they are a golden color. 

#SpoonTip: Add powdered sugar to the Oreos to give them more of a sweet taste!

2. Mozzarepas

This is my personal favorite food to eat at a fair mostly because it is more difficult to find these in restaurants around the city. A 'Mozzarepa' is a made of fresh mozzarella cheese that is infused in sweet grilled cornbread. I would recommend getting them in a box because they tend to be extremely hot when handed to you right off the grill. 

3. Funnel Cakes

Funnel cake is similar to fried Oreos in its consistency and taste. Funnel cake is made by pouring batter through a funnel into hot cooking oil in a circular pattern. Not related to festivals, but Disneyland started to make Fruity Pebble funnel cake fries which is a spin on the classic dish and has received excellent reviews from guests. 

4. Watermelon Cup

While watermelon is something you can eat daily, the watermelon cups from a NYC city street fair just taste better. The watermelon is red and juicy and is chopped into perfect bite sized squares. While it might be regular watermelon, there is nothing better than eating it on a hot summer day while you do some street fair shopping. 

5. Mini Donuts

Mini donuts are the latest trend on the rise in NYC. Glazed and Confused is one of the several food trucks that can be found at a New York City street fair and is home to classic donuts, cookies & cream donuts, doNutella donuts, and other special flavors. 

Final Thoughts

These 5 food items are only a few of the many different options that street fairs have to offer. The price point on these items may vary depending on location and vendor, but I would suggest keeping a good $20-30 available for food alone. I would also recommend splitting the portions of each food so you are able to try a little of everything without getting sick!