I had the chance of seeing "Mean Girls" on Broadway a few weeks ago and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen to this day. The musical numbers, characters, jokes, and dance routines brought this beloved movie to life in an astounding way that left me speechless.

While I was watching the play, I noticed that even though "Mean Girls" does emphasize some stereotypes including dumb blondes and flamboyant gay men. On the other hand, there are other messages including the importance of loving yourself and being smart that both Cady Heron and Janis Sarkisian experience throughout the play. 

I'd Rather Be Me

In a society where people strive to achieve the perfect image and fit in, sometimes it is difficult to stay true to yourself.  Sarkisian, portrayed by actress Barrett Wilbert Weed, is not your "typical" girl. She has her own unique sense of style usually sporting dark greens, reds, and blacks and humor that has audiences falling out of their seats. Regina George and her posse are extremely concerned with their outward appearance making sure they are always looking cute, skinny, and pretty. In the song, "I'd Rather Be Me", Sarkisian emphasizes the importance of being yourself against societal pressures.

Sarkisian says: 

"So I will not act all innocent

I won’t fake apologizeLet’s just fight and then make upNot tell these lies"

Sarkisian emphasizes throughout the course of the song how she will not change how she is in order to fit in with the other girls and how society thinks that girls should behave. It is extremely admirable to audiences both young and old who have been told at one point in their life to change who they are in order to be more "normal." 

The Limit Does Not Exist

Cady Heron, portrayed by Erika Henningsen, is a former home school student who has exquisite math knowledge. In the beginning of the play, Heron wants to fit in with not only with George and her friends, but get the attention of Aaron Samuels by hiding her intelligence. Herron's math teacher can see through her games and gives her the opportunity to earn some extra credit by competing in a math competition.

As one can expect, competing in a math competition is not the type of activity that most high school students would consider "cool." Ultimately, Herron embraces her math abilities and wins the competition with the famous quote: "the limit does not exist."

Final Thoughts

"Mean Girls" on Broadway was an incredible show that exceeded my greatest expectations. I honestly did not know what to expect prior to seeing the show, but I was overwhelmed at the end and am still singing all of the songs three weeks later. I think the play did a great job of not only staying true to the original while making it theatrical, but each actor made the characters uniquely their own while keeping the qualities audiences know and love. 

I would highly recommend seeing this show next time you are in New York City because it is so fetch!