Every Northwestern student knows that Edzo's is the place to go for delicious burgers. But if you've never ventured beyond their sandwiches, you're missing out. Next time, add some spice to your meal with a generous helping of fries and a thick, creamy milkshake. The classic burger joint always has unique, over-the-top specials of both items with outrageous toppings and flavors.

Read on for five flavorful pairings of Edzo's signature fries and milkshakes that you need to try.

1. Loaded Fries and Oreo Milkshake

One of Edzo's most popular side dishes is their loaded fries, which feature all of the tried-and-true baked potato toppings (like bacon and sour cream) on top of crispy, salty french fries. These fries go perfectly with the Oreo milkshake because the two are both crowd favorites reinvented into different forms. 

2. Lobster Fries and Cannoli Milkshake

Edzo's limited-edition lobster fries come topped with real Maine lobster meat, lemon-saffron aioli and chives. Add in a Cannoli milkshake (vanilla ice cream blended with sweetened ricotta, mini chocolate chips and crunchy bits of cannoli shells), and you've got yourself a New Englander's paradise.

3. Cheese Fries and Nutella Milkshake

pasta, meat, sauce, cheese, poutine, french fries
Aine Dougherty

Go classic with Edzo's legendary cheese fries, smothered in Merkt's sharp, tangy cheddar cheese sauce. But if you choose to go simple with the fries, go all out with a Nutella milkshake on the side (it's been named one of the best shakes in Chicago). Just like how cheese is the perfect complement to french fries, chocolate and hazelnut were always meant to come together in a sweet, rich milkshake.

4. Truffle Fries and Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake

Get fancy with these fries topped with parmesan cheese and truffle salt. One of the most expensive ingredients in the world, truffles add a salty and earthy flavor to Edzo's freshly cut french fries. Although a peanut butter banana milkshake seems like an unworthy pairing, the saltiness of the peanut butter in this classic but delicious combination weirdly works with the truffle fries.

5. Garlic Fries and Salted Caramel Milkshake

Tossed in a flavorful garlic-parsley butter and garnished with more garlic, these fries may be delicious, but you might not want to kiss anyone right after eating them. However, the sweetness of a salted caramel milkshake can help cut through the strong flavor of the garlic – it's a match made in heaven.

#SpoonTip: Now's your chance to explore the rest of the Edzo's menu – mention North Shore Restaurant Month at checkout to get a free milkshake with the purchase of two sandwiches during the month of February.