As a young adult attending college in New York City, I have witnessed firsthand the love that so many people have for Trader Joe’s. Currently I am living in Colorado, and wanted to see if there was a similar hype and adoration for the grocery store out west. I recently ventured to one of their locations in Greenwood Village, just a few miles from Downtown Denver, to explore their selection of food items, and I was not disappointed. I, like many other people, have a vicious sweet tooth, and am always so tempted by random baked goods at the grocery store that usually wind up tasting incredibly average. Trader Joe's sells top-notch, high quality goods, and these three are undoubtedly deserving of true praise. The following products are must-have Trader Joe's items for any dessert lover, and should be added to your grocery list immediately.

The Best Vanilla Bean Sheet Cake

Maura Consedine

I first made a beeline for the bakery section in search of the Chantilly Cream Vanilla Bean Mini Sheet Cake. This cake has risen to TikTok fame during the last few months of quarantine, and I knew it was something I needed to try. The most notable aspect of this dessert is its natural and authentic vanilla bean flavor, rather than a grossly artificial taste. The texture is somewhere between banana bread and coffee cake, and it stayed moist throughout the 3 days it took my family to devour. I am incredibly picky about frosting, both the texture and ratio to the actual cake, and this definitely exceeded my expectations. The topping was sweet with that signature buttercream firmness, and evenly distributed across the cake in a wonderfully thick layer. Also, the small size makes it perfect for eating alone, or sharing with others if you are feeling generous, although I doubt you will be once you take a bite of this delectable treat. 

Breakfast or Dessert? You Decide

Maura Consedine

The next item worth mentioning is the Trader Joe’s Pancake Bread. The name might sound confusing, because pancakes and bread are two very different (and delicious) things, but Trader Joe’s had the brilliant idea to combine them into this versatile loaf. The bread has a very distinct buttermilk taste that satisfies anyone’s craving for a stack of pancakes, and the brown sugar crumble topping is simple but truly ties everything together to elevate the dish. There is a hint of syrup to the bread itself, as well as notes of cinnamon and honey throughout the dense loaf. I ate a slice right out of the container, but toasting it with a pad of butter or adding whipped topping with berries would add even more texture and moisture to the treat. It is not overwhelmingly sweet, which makes it a perfect breakfast addition or late night snack!

A Sweet and Sour Summer Dessert for Any Season

Maura Consedine

Finally, the frozen Key Lime Pie makes an appearance. This dessert is typically viewed as a summer dish, but I promise the Trader Joe’s version will be worthy of consumption all year round. The pie has a perfect balance of sweet versus tart, which I believe is the most important attribute of any key lime pie. The crust is buttery and is a great contrast to the silky filling, and it has a hint of ginger to it which really makes it stand out from other ordinary graham cracker crusts. It has that wonderful homemade taste we all know and love, but doesn’t require all the effort of crafting it from scratch. And even though this key lime pie comes from the freezer section, it thaws well and has no residual freezer burnt taste. The pie is made and sold with no toppings, but a dollop of whipped cream or coating of meringue adds an extra layer of softness and creaminess. 

The Ultimate Duo: Chocolate and Peanut Butter

beer, liquor, alcohol, coffee, whisky
Madison Mordoh

An honorable mention goes to the peanut butter cups from Trader Joe’s. I'm a sucker for anything with this beloved combination, so these caught my eye, especially because their small size makes them perfect for quickly unwrapping and eating on the go. The smooth peanut butter filling is different from the signature grittiness of a Reese's cup, and the layer of chocolate is thicker. The slight bitterness of the dark chocolate version helps to balance out the filling's saltiness, but I will always be a milk chocolate fan because it is a little sweeter. On their own they are a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth without eating a whole slice of pie or piece of cake, but can also work well as an ice cream topping or baked into cookies.

A Wide Variety of Tasty Options

Trader Joe’s is an excellent store to visit if you are looking to purchase basic necessities, but they also have an incredible selection of baked goods, frozen treats, candy and more. If this short list has not convinced you to drop everything and run to your nearest Trader Joe's for dessert, maybe this compilation of 15 items for anyone craving a sweet snack can persuade you. You can also check out this helpful list of 9 things you should buy if you are new to the world of Trader Joe's, because the abundance of products can be pretty overwhelming.