Half of the reason I studied in Rome, Italy was for the food, but I quickly realized how hard it is to find restaurants that served other types of cuisine. So I made it my mission to find some variety during the four months I lived there, and after some digging I was able to come up with this list. I'll start with breakfast and work my way down to dinner. 

1. Mammò Street Food

Coming from America, where bagels are never far out of reach, it didn’t take long for me to start missing them. Thankfully, Mammò Street Food was located on my walk to school and I quickly became a regular. They prepare bagel sandwiches to order and also serve iced coffee which is another plus. Just be sure to give yourself some extra time because it can get pretty busy in the mornings.

2.  Fratte di Trastevere

This is another great place to find bagels in Rome. I heard about this place by word of mouth and I would never have guessed that they served bagels because it looks like a typical Italian restaurant. These bagels are more like New York bagels than Mammò Street Food, but their hours are also shorter which makes it hard for me decide which I like better. 

3. Coromandel

It’s easy to walk right past this amazing place to get an American breakfast (which should actually be given a facelift, itself) without even realizing it. I stumbled upon it by chance through some Instagram stalking, and I’m glad I did. As I mentioned, I’m a huge breakfast fan and their pancakes definitely did not disappoint. They also offer bacon, eggs and French toast, making it the perfect sit-down spot when you’re missing a taste of home.

4. Donkey Punch

Sarah Spiro

This American rock 'n' roll themed sandwich shop is by far my favorite place on this list. Sandwiches can be made to order, or you can choose from their suggested menu that has sandwiches with names like “The Rolling Stones,” or “David Bowie.” While they offer traditional Italian ingredients, you can mix and match to find your own perfect combination. I might be biased, but I think this place also beats out the hyped up All'Antico Vinaio in Florence.

5. Delì cucina & bottege

This newer sandwich shop opened towards the end of my semester in Rome, so I was only able to go a few times, but I will definitely be visiting the next time I’m in the Eternal City. This place offers super fresh sandwiches, including a chicken satay with peanut sauce that reminded me of Thai food I eat at home. The owner is also incredibly welcoming and makes you feel right at home.

6. Open Baladin

Besides the fact that Open Baladin offers more than 100 labels of Italian craft beers, they have burgers that are even better than some I’ve had in America. They also have incredible chicken strips that are perfect for sharing with friends over one of their home made beers.

7. Ombre Rosse in Trastevere

salad
Sarah Spiro

This super fun spot in the heart of Trastevere is always popping. While they also serve Italian food, for me, the burgers on their menu are what sets this restaurant apart. There are many suggested burgers to choose from, but you can also make your own. Some of my best memories of my semester abroad are sitting in their outside area, listening to live music and chowing down on one of their burgers.

8.Banco

Because I’m not going to suggest that you go to a McDonald’s in one of the food capitals of the world, Banco is the fast food option I’ll provide you with. Not only do they have burgers, nuggets and fries, but they also have wraps, salads, noodles, and vegan options. They’re all about local and sustainable food, so you can eat here without the guilt that usually comes with fast food. 

9. Ginger Sapori e Salute

beer
Sarah Spiro

The bright and airy decor of Ginger Sapori e Salute will transport you outside of Rome for the duration of your meal. Focused on fresh and healthy food, the restaurant has a wide menu of items from acai bowls and eggs to salads and sandwiches. They also serve cold pressed juices and smoothies.

10. Coffee Pot Trastevere

Here’s something you don’t see everyday, even outside of Rome. Coffee Pot Trastevere is a combo between sushi and Mexican. They even have some fusion dishes like the sushi taco pictured above. The menu is a little pricey for the amount of food you get, but it’s a super trendy place and definitely one of a kind.

11. Somo

Somo is a more traditional Japanese restaurant, and probably the first place I would go for sushi in Rome. It is the fanciest restaurant on the list and has all of the options you would find at your local sushi restaurant. Again, because it’s on the nicer side, it’s a little more expensive, but when you need a break from pizza and pasta everyday, it’s worth it.

If you're visiting Rome for a vacation, I'd say stick to Italian because it's the best you'll ever eat. But if you're spending an extended amount of time in the city, try these places out when you're looking for some variety.