As college students, brunch is the ultimate time of the day for going out to eat because it allows you to choose between breakfast and lunch options without missing out on any favorites due to busy schedules during the day. Are you craving breakfast, but have classes from 8 am to 10 am? Or, maybe you want to eat pancakes while your friend wants to go out for a panini? Luckily, some restaurants have done the heavy lifting for us, with many eateries now scheduling a time when they serve both pancakes and paninis, eliminating any hangry conflicts.

Kennedy Dierks

Over the past few years, brunch has taken over food culture and Instagram feeds. With options for every type of eater, brunch is the perfect time to go out with friends and find something for everyone. The rapid spread of brunch is saving college students from the time constraints of menus, and saving every food lover from deciding between their two favorite things. It’s the best of both worlds, so Spoon has rounded up some of the best brunch restaurants near Seton Hall that you do not want to miss out on. Here are 10 of the best spots for brunch near South Orange, NJ.

1. Jackie & Son

134 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Serving everything from fluffy blueberry pancakes to a variety of fruit and veggie smoothies to wonderfully seasoned pita gyros, Jackie & Son is the ultimate brunch destination.

Their central location is right down the street from campus on the main strip of the South Orange Village, and their seating area allows you to come in for a quick bite to eat, have a nice sit-down meal inside, or enjoy your food outside during the nice weather. With their use of fresh ingredients and Israeli-Arab influence, Jackie & Son provides a variety of wonderful creations that you do not want to miss out on.

2. The Order

50W W South Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

For all the coffee lovers and Potterheads out there, The Order is the best brunch spot for you! Serving everything from americanos, lattes, cappuccinos, cold brew, and their signature chaggachino, their one-of-a-kind creations are the perfect thing to accompany your meal. Also, their menu is unprecedented with its Harry Potter-themed, Indian-influenced cuisine, and signature American brunch classics.

Their menu features a sandwich nicknamed the Hagrid, which comes with a sunny-side-up egg, choice of meat, buttermilk biscuit with cinnamon, and bourbon-infused organic maple syrup; as well as the Nessa, a grilled chicken wrap served with french fries and a selection of homemade sauces. The Order is a must-try one-of-a-kind spot, that you don’t want to miss out on.

3. Grid Iron Waffle Shop

12 W South Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Located in the heart of South Orange, Grid Iron Waffle Shop is known for its deliciously sweet and savory waffle creations. The Grid’s elevated twist on the ordinary waffle and a variety of other brunch classics -- such as BLTs, french toast, and omelets -- are sure to make your meal spectacular.

The Grid also has the option to create your own waffle station, which allows you to make the ultimate brunch item and is a good option for those with dietary restrictions. Plus, they recently announced an exclusive combo menu featuring discounts for Seton Hall students.

4. First Watch

1235 W Chestnut St # A, Union, NJ 07083

Just a little ways from campus in Union, NJ,  First Watch is a delicious brunch spot that’s well worth the trip! Everything from their new seasonal menu, to fresh juices, and classic breakfast hashes, are made with all-natural ingredients.

Some of their new seasonal items include chorizo sunrise sandwich, crab cake benedict, and pineapple express juice. If you’re interested in a lighter meal, First Watch also has quinoa power bowls, sunrise granola bowls, and power wraps. To learn more about their menu click here

5. Miti Miti 

10 Sloan St, South Orange, NJ 07079

You haven’t fully experienced South Orange until you have tried this Latin street food classic. From the authentic cuisine and BYO drinks to the lively ambiance of the patio and wonderful service, there is no other place near Seton Hall quite like Miti Miti.

Their delicious breakfast menu, which is served from 8 am to noon, includes Latin classics such as arepas, homemade Colombian cornmeal cakes, huevos rancheros, and breakfast tacos. The lunch menu starts at 11 am and has a variety of street tacos, platters, and specialty Birria tacos. Miti Miti is a sensational spot that’s perfect for your next brunch adventure. 

6. Village Coffee 

164 Maplewood Ave, Maplewood, NJ 07040

Serving the local community since 1994, Village Coffee in Maplewood is a coffeehouse classic that is great for a quick bite to eat, sit down meal, or to-go order. Providing a wide range of hot and iced coffees and teas, they have a flavor profile fit for almost every person.

Along with their expansive beverage selection, Village Coffee also provides a variety of cuisines such as chicken tikka masala; Cajun chicken paninis; Mexican food favorites including breakfast burritos; American omelets; and so much more.

7. Elitist Coffee

132 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

Walking down the main strip of the Village you can’t help but be drawn in by the friendly, homey atmosphere at Elitist Coffee. This vintage chic coffee shop is gradually becoming a staple in South Orange with its handcrafted drinks and arrangement of pastries and sandwiches – many of which are vegan.

If there are two things that make the perfect brunch it's a good latte and a warm, homemade muffin. Some other fan favorites include their signature monkey bread and mocha latte. To learn more about this coffee shop that’s a self-described “home away from home,” click on this link.

8. Chit Chat Diner

410 Eagle Rock Ave, West Orange, NJ 07052

The key to the perfect brunch is the perfect view. At the Chit Chat Diner, you can enjoy great food while enjoying a stunning view of the New York City skyline. The only thing better than the view outside is the inside of the restaurant, which has a castle-like structure and Alice in Wonderland-esque décor that makes it feel like you are eating on a movie set.

Located in West Orange, Chit Chat is the perfect place to grab a bite to eat that's outside of your typical options, but not too far that it’s inaccessible.

#SpoonTip: Try the French Toast TEC, a twist on the classic New Jersey Taylor Ham, Egg, & Cheese sandwich.

9. Raymond's Restaurant

28 Church St, Montclair, NJ 07042

Located on Church Street, Raymond’s is a retro American Bistro that you must try! Serving everything from omelets to fresh salads to ooey-gooey grilled cheeses to their classic hamburger, Raymond’s is the one-stop shop that you never want to leave.

Raymond's great food plus a cozy, family-style environment makes for the ideal brunch location. 

10. Batavia Café 

356 Springfield Ave, Summit, NJ 07901

For everyone looking for fresh ingredients, vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, and dairy-free options the Batavia Café in Summit is the spot for you! 

Breakfast served all day alongside their delicious signature salads and wraps make this café a must-try brunch place. 

#SpoonTip: Try Batavia's perfectly-Instagrammable avocado toast or their hot-pressed Spicy Torta Panini.