Throughout Black History Month and beyond, South Orange has become a haven for people to interact with their community through food. This Black History Month, start local and celebrate through food by supporting Black-owned restaurants near Seton Hall University. Whether you're looking for plant-based picks or internationally-inspired eats, there's something for everyone.

During the month of February, we celebrate and recognize the invaluable contributions generations of Black Americans have made in our communities, economy and the world. Though 13% of the American population is Black, Black-owned businesses only make up 9.5% of America’s economy. Supporting Black-owned businesses has been key to closing the racial wealth gap that exist in America. By supporting Black-Owned Businesses, customers can contribute to a positive cycle of allowing local businesses to grow, and create impact to the community that they serve.

Here's a brief guide to Black-Owned Restaurants in South Orange, New Jersey:

1. Papillon 25

An atmosphere of all things Soul Food, Papillon 25 in South Orange is the premier restaurant and martini bar in South Orange. The romantic ambience of Papillon 25 is a melting pot of cultures including French, Italian, American, Asian, Caribbean and New Orleans Cuisine. In addition to a full-serviced bar and restaurant, Papillon 25 features live jazz music every Thursday, which customers can enjoy for free as they dine down.

Spoon Must-Try: Jerk Ménage a trois

Address: 25 Valley St, South Orange, NJ 07079

2. The Dancing Blender

The Dancing Blender features a casual atmosphere with a distinctive menu of freshly made and healthy homemade food, dairy-free smoothies, and juices. It's a great option in South Orange for all things grab and go, specialty immunity shots, and ready-made smoothies made from quality nutritious products.

Spoon Must Try: Brunch Quinoa Bowl

Address: 121 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

3. Walia Ethiopian Cuisine

Experience the taste of Addis Abba without leaving South Orange Avenue. Walia Ethiopian Cuisine provides the highest quality ingredients to the South Orange community with their authentic East African Cuisine, and features a diverse meat and vegetarian menu with spices that are unique to Ethiopia. ተደሰት (Enjoy)

Spoon Must Try: Yebeg Kay Wyatt

Address: 11 Village Plaza, South Orange, NJ 07079

4. Elitist Coffee

Operated by mother and daughter duo, Elitist is a coffee shop that strives to be inviting – totally opposite of their trademark name. After noticing a lack of neighborhood coffee shops in South Orange, owner Shauna Arnettee wanted to create a place where customers could not only drink coffee, but also feel like they are home. ​​

In addition to selling coffee and sweet and savory pastries like croissants and danishes, the shop also offers small bites, including wraps. If you want to catch up with friends while enjoying the highest quality coffee and pastries, Elitist Coffee is the place for you.

Spoon Must Try: Southern Comfort Wrap & House Blend Coffee

Address: 132 W S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079

5. Michezo Vegan

Home Court. Home Made. This new South Orange Black Owned restaurant offers plant-based food for the people who hate salads. Michezo Vegan Restaurant serves as a bridge in the South Orange community for people who want to try delicious plant based vegan food without giving up the foods they love.

In addition to plant-based meals and pastries, Michezo provides a nostalgic environment for those who love art and basketball with personal touches. Vegan or not, this place is a great go-to for several South Orange residents.

Spoon Must Try: “Dagaa” Vegan Crab Cake meal & Homemade Passion Fruit Juice

Address: 329 Valley Street, South Orange, NJ 0707

6. Pirate's Pizza

Pirate's Pizza is located in the heart of South Orange, and offers a discount for Seton Hall students. Stop in for their variety of pizzas, customizable toppings, and over a dozen side salads.

Spoon Must-Try:

Address: 329 Valley St, South Orange, NJ 07079

Now that you know about the Black Owned Restaurants in South Orange, What are you waiting for?

#SupportLocal #SupportBlack