Spoon University Logo
japan style 7 eleven
japan style 7 eleven
News

Here’s What We Know About Japan-Style 7-Elevens Coming To The U.S.

Social media has brought everyone closer allowing us to develop relationships worldwide. It has also made us envy those traveling around especially far away, especially when showcasing the differences of American food spots in other countries. Sure, seeing the different food offerings from McDonald’s around the world is fascinating, but what about 7-Eleven? The rave over food offered at 7-Elevens in Japan has been populating TikTok and Instagram feeds for a while now. These aren’t your average 7-Elevens with slurpees and taquitos. 7-Elevens in Japan offer fresh food daily and offer a lot more than most American gas stations. I mean who wouldn’t want the option of fresh sushi and onigiri on a road trip across the states? This could be a reality, with the company considering bringing Japan-style 7-Elevens to its American locations, here’s what we know.

A bit of 7-Eleven history

7-Eleven is a Japanese-owned company founded in Texas. The first 7-Eleven in Japan opened in the 1970s. Its success quickly topped its American locations, and by 2005 Seven & I Holdings bought out 7-Eleven from bankruptcy. These Japanese convenience stores, known as konbini, are part of the culture now. They offer delicious snacks, beverages, and amazing on-the-go meals usually priced from $0.95 to $2.95 in American currency including fried chicken, onigiri, egg sandwiches, sushi, mochi, and fresh pastries made daily. A huge difference from the quick snacks and slurpees found at a local American 7-Eleven.

The difference between Japanese and American 7-Elevens

According to Bloomberg, Seven & I Holdings CEO Ryuichi Isaka states that bringing the successful formula from their Japan locations to the United States allows huge success for their company. Most convenience stores in America are chip and soda shops meant for quick trips in and out whereas 7-Eleven is a local stop in Japan. All locals and tourists visit often to get good food at affordable prices, unlike most convenience stores in America.

According to The Wall Street Journal, 7-Eleven profits from gas and cigarettes have decreased due to the rise of electric cars and people not smoking as much so the convenience store has to pivot. What draws locals and tourists to the Japanese 7-Elevens is the fresh food. The variety of options makes consumers want to stop by, enticing customers with new menu items that are cheap and accessible to everyone. The only slight downside is that this expansion may only be possible through merging stores which could lead to a lower offering in convenience store chains.

This style is what’s being brought to American 7-Elevens. The move towards fresh has been a more recent discussion of ways to increase revenue. These efforts can only be made by building a supply chain that can deliver fresh food daily allowing each location to continue their fresh food sales and cater to local cuisine in which the Japan stores excel.

Imagine 7-Eleven being one of the only convenience stores to make a pit stop on your road trip. I guess I’d be okay if I got to eat mochi and onigiri on the way to Disney World.