“It's 3 a.m., and I woke up severely dehydrated” is a phrase that has been blowing up on TikTok since last fall. Creator @amyflamy1 introduced TikTok to a new fan-favorite trend of Hwachae, a refreshing Korean treat that is apparently a perfect cure for any late-night dehydration. The TikTok video, which currently has 17.6 million views, has led many creators to hop on this trend and see what Hwachae is all about.

What is Hwachae?

Hwachae is a Korean traditional fruit punch that is often made with a variety of fruits and sweet drinks. According to Two Plaid Aprons, this is more specifically known as subak-hwachae, which translates to Korean Watermelon punch. 

This punch is extremely refreshing, with a variety of fruits which is why many creators have started their hwachae-tasting videos with amyflamy1’s phrase, “It's 3 a.m. and I woke up severely dehydrated.”

How to make Hwachae.

With how many fruits are included, it's somewhat similar to TikTok’s nature cereal: a combination of fruits and ice with coconut water. However, traditionally, hwachae is made of water combined with honey, sugar, or even edible flowers. It also contains ice, making it especially popular in the summertime for its refreshing taste. 

When it comes to making hwachae, you can really improvise your punch by adding your favorite fruits and drinks. In terms of the traditional dessert, ingredients include watermelon, sprite, condensed milk or strawberry milk, and ice.

Not only have creators been trying this punch, but they also make their creations in especially large bowls with large spoons, making the taste tests even more satisfying to viewers.

The variations pertain to the drinks and fruits added. In the original video, amyflamy1 uses strawberry milk, bananas, and peaches. In recreations like @cookiterika on TikTok, Morgan puts jello and fruit cups in hers.

With Erica in the background person, repeating that it’s her hwachae bowl, she can do whatever she wants.