Spoon University Logo
fluffycoke
fluffycoke
News

What Even Is TikTok’s Viral Fluffy Coke?

For the past month, my TikTok has been flooded with videos of (often sweet and Southern) girls making a drink called fluffy coke. Drink trends, like the “crackle coffee cups”, have never been my forte, so I kept scrolling past. But when celebrities like Chrissy Teigen even started trying this drink, I thought I might as well try it for myself.

So what is Fluffy Coke?

Fluffy Coke, as explained by TikTok user Emma Grace (@not.eg), is a cup coated in marshmallow fluff and then filled with ice and coke. The drink is undeniably appealing, even amidst all the cries that it’s a heart attack waiting to happen. It’s exciting, and I am always drawn in by an exciting drink.

What did I think after making it?

Fluffy Coke
Izzy Astuto

I had a lot of fun making this for myself! The flavor of the drink is mainly the coke itself, made sweeter and, admittedly, a bit fluffier by the marshmallow. It didn’t really melt into the drink for me, (although I didn’t wait too long to try it) but scraping it off the sides did the trick. In an email to TODAY.com, Emma Grace said, “I think the Fluffy Coke has gone so viral, not only because it is delicious, but also because it is so fun to make… It’s like a little craft project and a drink wrapped into one fun and delicious experience.”

I definitely agree with this. Sometimes I get bored stocking up on just one type of soda in the house, because I like variety in the things I’m consuming. Getting to add a little bit of something to my soda adds that spice that I so crave. Especially because this doesn’t need to be made with coke at all. Many of the videos of people trying it include other soda brands, or even an extra ingredient, like Chrissy Teigen’s vanilla syrup.

I will say – the fluff can definitely be difficult to spread on the cup, and subsequently hard to suck through a straw. But hey, maybe that’s just the quality of the fluff I had. I would rate this trend as definitely worth it if you want a little sweet treat this afternoon, with enough variety to match your specific tastes! 

Izzy Astuto (he/they) is a writer currently majoring in Creative Writing at Emerson College, with a specific interest in screenwriting. His work has previously been published by Hearth and Coffin, Sage Cigarettes, and The Gorko Gazette, amongst others. He is currently a reader for journals such as PRISM international and Alien Magazine. You can find more of their work on their website, at https://izzyastuto.weebly.com/. Their Instagram is izzyastuto2.0 and Twitter is adivine_tragedy.