Spoon University Logo
uber eats
uber eats
News

New Study Reveals Some States Pay More In ‘Hidden Fees’ On Uber Eats Than Others

With the return of back-to-school looming, it’s almost time to start thinking about how you are going to be budget-friendly with your meal plan. Whether you’re living on campus or occupying yourself in an off-campus apartment, the need for food delivery will probably cross your mind (trust me, I’ve been there). Ordering takeout can be costly depending on the type of food you get, which service you’re ordering from, and the fees. When you order food delivery, it’s best to keep in mind the hidden fees that come with your bill. The most standard one is the delivery fee, but other fees like service charges and operation costs will also sneak into your bill, as well. CouponBirds, an online shopping community, recently released a study analyzing the hidden fees and costs of Uber Eats, based on state and city.

In order to accommodate their findings, CouponBirds collected the online prices, as well as the additional fees based on the three popular fast food dishes on Uber Eats: the Subway 6” Garlic Roast Beef Sub, Chick-Fil-A’s 3-piece Chick-n-Strips Meal, and the McDonalds’ Double Quarter Pounder with Cheese Meal. The average price, including the “taxes and other fees,” was calculated in each state and city to determine which was the most expensive and cheapest.

Which areas had the highest and lowest hidden fees?

Uber Eats
Photo from CouponBirds

The cities with the highest hidden fees feature major metropolition cities like Seattle, New York, Baltimore, and San Francisco. These cities have hidden fees that range from $5 to $12, with Seattle having the highest hidden fee at $12.16. Other prices include New York City at $6.24 and San Francisco at $7.35, only a dollar more than New York City. The states with the highest hidden fees when ordering fast food via Uber Eats are Washington, California, Connecticut, and Vermont among other states.

Compared to this, the cities with the lowest hidden fees include Toldeo, Cincinnati, Missoula, and Newark. The majority of these cities have lower taxes, which makes the overall delivery cost not too expensive. Another interesting thing about the study is that Seattle mandated a new law earlier this year that would increase the minimum wage for gig workers, including delivery drivers.

If your school is in any of these cities, rather high or low, it’s best to take note of how expensive your delivery cost could be. Don’t get me wrong, we will all be subject to the temptation of wanting to order take out. But, if you want to commit to better financial responsibility this upcoming school year, be mindful of the budget that you have.

certified iced coffee girlie.