McDonald’s has made its way to pop culture with features in Marvel and anime. For the latter, there’s even a fictional creation of “WcDonald’s,” which originated over four decades ago with an entire universe created by the fandom. Earlier this year, McDonald’s announced a collaboration with WcDonald’s for a WcDonald’s dipping sauce and WcNuggets. The anime route seems to be McDonald’s latest obsession. The fast food chain is continuing the trend with a partnership with the hit anime series Jujutsu Kaisen for a new limited-time dipping sauce, the Special Grade Garlic Sauce, which also comes with new lids. 

What’s Jujutsu Kaisen?

Jujutsu Kaisen is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Gege Akutami that has been running since 2018. The first volume was published that year and since then, 26 volumes have been released. The fantasy anime surrounds high school student Yuji Itadori who joins a secret organization of Jujutsu Sorcerers to eliminate a powerful Curse named Ryomen Sukuna.

What’s the new McDonald’s dipping sauce?

The Special Grade Garlic Sauce was inspired by the Black Garlic Sauce from McDonald’s Japan, featuring garlic and soy sauce, balanced with a slight tangy sweetness. It’s a bit of a contrast to the fast food chain’s last anime collab sauce, the Savory Chili WcDonald’s Sauce, described as a “unique combination of ginger, garlic and soy with a slight heat from chili flakes.” Both sauces feature garlic and soy sauce but the Special Grade Garlic Sauce is not spicy.

Customers can grab the Special Grade Garlic Sauce for free with any order of Chicken McNuggets or when paired with your go-to order on the McDonald’s app starting on July 9. Each purchase of the new dipping sauce also unlocks a 30-day free trial of Crunchyroll, where you can watch full episodes of Jujutsu Kaisen and more of your favorite anime content. 

What about the new lids?

Photo from McDonald's

The new sauce packaging will also feature eight unique lid designs starring fan-favorite characters from the hit anime series. Customers can collect all lids to reach your peak strength:

Yuji Itadori – A rare talent not seen in a thousand years who is able to withstand the poison of Sukuna and become his human vessel.

Megumi Fushiguro – A genius who enrolled as a 2nd grade sorcerer and the only first-year student allowed to carry out solo missions.

Nobara Kugisaki – A strong-willed 3rd grade jujutsu sorcerer who came to Tokyo from the countryside.

Satoru Gojo – The strongest special grade sorcerer and teacher at Tokyo Jujutsu High. 

Kento Nanami – A junior of Gojo who became a salaryman, but later returned to Tokyo Jujutsu High to become a 1st grade sorcerer – the most adult of adults.

Suguru Geto – A villain special grade sorcerer whose goal is to create a paradise for sorcerers, free of humans.

Mahito – A curse that originated from humans who can change the appearance of a person by touching their soul.

Sukuna – A king who survived more than a thousand years ago and still threatens this world after his death.