I am always looking for a new summer dessert to add to my repertoire, and it doesn’t get any easier than the new frozen fruit shaved ice. There are so many different variations of this trend popping up on TikTok and Instagram, with creators using fruits ranging from strawberries or peaches to mango, or even citrus fruits like grapefruit and oranges. These recipes would be perfect to try after you take a trip to your local farmer’s market this summer because you can use your favorite seasonal summer fruits. Frozen fruit shaved ice is made by using a microplane or cheese grater to shave thin pieces of frozen fruit, and then you can top it off with your choice of fruits, nuts, and toppings to create a vibrant and colorful summertime treat. With most of the recipes only needing a few ingredients, this food trend is the solution to your summertime dessert slump.

Strawberry Shaved Ice

This frozen fruit shaved ice trend started with creator Frankie Shaw’s (@littlefatboyfrankie) Strawberry Shaved Ice recipe on TikTok. This simple recipe is attainable for even beginner chefs, only needing frozen strawberries and a microplane grater. After grating your desired amount of strawberries, Shaw’s recipe features a drizzle of condensed milk, crushed peanut, black sesame, and topped with a sprig of mint. The color contrast of the ingredients and the black sesame seed topping really elevates this simple dish and makes it seem like a gourmet dessert. Try this recipe if you're looking for a refreshing and hydrating dessert that won’t weigh you down.

Peaches & Cream Fruit Shaved Ice

This variation of the food trend uses peaches, another perfect summer fruit that is available in a lot of local markets. This recipe, created by Carolina Gelen, features Peaches and Cream Fruit Shaved Ice. Starting with a base of whipped cream in your bowl, use a microplane grater to grate two whole frozen peaches (though I’m sure you could substitute with bagged frozen peaches) over the whipped cream. Then, drizzle with maple syrup or brown sugar syrup, and finish with a topping of brown sugar and pistachios. This Peaches and Cream shaved ice is sweeter and more sugary than the strawberry fruit shaved ice we discussed, but you could substitute the whipped cream for vanilla Greek yogurt for a similar taste with less sugar and more protein.

Frozen Watermelon Shaved Ice

Another fantastic summer fruit to use for this trend is watermelon. It is inexpensive in the summer and freezes so easily. This recipe for frozen watermelon shaved ice from Alexa Santos (@alexawhatsfordinner) is giving summer freshness. Alexa recommends starting by cutting your watermelon into batons before freezing, which allows the smaller pieces to freeze more quickly and make it easier to hold as she grates the frozen fruit. After you grate your desired amount of watermelon into your bowl, all that's left to do is top it with a squeeze of lime juice, a drizzle of spicy honey, salt, and fresh basil. The hot and sweet combo is a big step up from an ice cream truck snow cone, and it’s amazing how something this vibrant can be made with so few ingredients.